Review of "Wilkinet Sling"

published 03/11/2008 | Ashwick
Member since : 28/08/2008
Pro Nicely padded for your baby
Cons Not quick or easy to put on or take off by yourself
Safety
Ease of cleaning

"Wilkinet woes"

I know that a lot of people rave about the Wilkinet baby carrier and in theory I do think it's a great idea, as your baby is snuggled right up to you when he/she is a newborn and when they get a bit older (and heavier) their weight is supposed to be drawn into your body, rather than away, making carrying less of a strain. In practice, however I'm afraid I just didn't really get on with it.

Basically, the Wilkinet baby carrier boasts that it doesn't have any clips to struggle with, un-pop, loosen etc. while you are out and about. What it doesn't say is that instead it has two impossibly long straps to contend with and it is very tricky to put the baby carrier on by yourself, especially when your baby is on your front. I found it awkward as the straps were so long and with my son on my front I couldn't really see what I was doing.

Basically, the carrier has four positions:
1. Baby facing in on your front. This position is from newborn until about 3 or 4 months when your baby begins to gain neck control.
2. Baby on your chest but facing out - this is from approx 4 - 6 months.
3. Baby on your hip, one your baby has good head and neck control (although I never actually tried this position)
4. Baby on your back from approx 5 or 6 months until toddler

With positions 1 and 2 I almost always needed help putting the carrier on. Position 4 was better, I could actually do this by myself, but it was still awkward and it was frustrating the number of times the straps would drop on the floor or flop into mud!

My son was born in February of this year and I found that the carrier was great for cold winters days as my body heat kept him nice and warm and sung, but as soon as the weather began to get a bit warmer he often got too warm and sometimes very sweaty pressed against me so tightly.

I also found that once in position, frustratingly, the carrier did tend to slip (one of the things the manufacturer professes it absolutely does not do!), and I found myself having to hike it up a lot of the time. I am not an odd shape or excessively tall or short. I am 5 foot 4 inches and a size 10, and followed the instructions to the letter, so there is no real reason for this happening.

Summary:
The Pros:
- Baby is well supported and is kept warm and snugly in the winter
- Is very easily stored as can be folded up very compactly
- Easily cleaned
- Very lightweight

The Cons:
- Not easy to put on and get off
- The two long straps can be a real pain
- You and your baby can get really hot in warmer weather
- As with lots of baby carriers it is largely only available on line so you cannot try before you buy.
- I found that it did not stay in place and I kept having to adjust it

(all my reviews appear on dooyoo under the same name of Ashwick)