Rosebudwi... 5

Rosebudwithredroses

Member since:24.07.2005

Wilkinsons Instant BBQ

10.04.2012

Advantages:
disoposable

Disadvantages:
longer to cook, small sizes

Performance

2. azana
somewhat helpful by (13%):
  1. ithoughtyoudneverask

=Wilkinsons Disposable BBQ=
As our family holiday last year, was just starting off as my daughter and myself, we had been to the same site earlier in the year, so didn't really want to sit through the same entertainment, so promised my daughter she could have a BBQ one night, so for quickness we picked up a couple of these dispoable BBQs from Wilkos.

=The BBq=
There not the biggest, I would say there about the size of an A4 piece of paper, the tray is made from aluminium and has a wire effect tray on the top and this is prefilled with charcoal. It has a cardboard top, and the unit is sealed in plastic.=Getting Started=
I put this on the concrete outside, the caravan as I wanted to keep it as flat as possible to ensure an even cooking of the food, it was difficult to light, as the charcoal just did not want to catch fire, I must have spent about 10 minutes and nearly a box full of the cooks matches, but we did get there in the end.

=Cooking=I waited about 10 or 15 minutes for the charcoal to become hot enough to cook on, we had some gammon, which when I looked at the BBQ, I knew they wouldn't fit on, so we cooked 4 burgers, (small size ones), 4 sausages and 4 rashers of bacon, and that was the grill full.

=Stayed with it=
It was a pain to cook on as you needed to stay with the food, so I was sat on the caravan step leaning over on to the BBQ. I turned the food a couple of times to make sure that it was cooking ok, everything was fine.

=Food=
Our food tested ok, I noticed that it took longer than on a tradational BBQ, it felt like an eternity, bit it was about 20 minutes, the burgers were fresh from the butcher, so they weren't cooked from frozen.

=To Cool=
We left the BBQ outside the van to cool and next morning put it in a carrier bag and disposed of, although as the grill came off there would be nothing stopping you reusing the bbq again and put fresh charcoal in.

=My verdict=
While it was handy, if you wanted to cook for more than 2 people or a bigger item of meat such as gammon, you would need more than one. I also felt that it could do with some more charcoal in the package.

=Would I recommend=
Yes, unfortunately I can't remember how much we paid, as it would have been brought with other shopping, but it wouldn't have been more than £2.00.

ithoughtyoudneverask 24.04.2012 22:51