Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Razor

Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Razor

Review of "Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Razor"

published 11/11/2012 | chrisc92
Member since : 05/11/2008
I live with my wife and 2 youngest children in Plymouth and our aging wizard of a cat
Pro Smooth finish, effortless shaving
Cons Yet to be discovered
Quality of shave
Durability of the razor
Durability of the blades

"A close shave that puts Wallace and Gromit to shame - The Hydro 5"

With Christmas fast approaching my wife and I were out yesterday buying some of the vast quantity for our family. My wife decided that she was intent on a No7 gift set from Boots so whilst in there, we had a look for gifts that we thought would be both useful and well received.

Whilst looking I noticed the Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 that was well packaged and selling at £10 which included a razor that had blade installed, a carriage to hold the razor and a further pack of 4 blade cartridges.

Since shaving many years ago I have always relied on Gillette except for a brief period while at Polytechnic when I had used a Remington electric one, and more recently (last week in fact) when I had decided to be brave and try out a razor from Aldi that was a fraction of the price of Gillette. Aldi’s shaving system proved to be a disaster and my face was left rough, covered in red blotches and painful so would certainly not recommend their blades.

I did however need a cheaper way of shaving. Gillette blades for my Mach 3 were expensive and their life span was diminishing almost on a weekly basis from what used to be around 3 weeks per blade to 1 – if I was lucky and at £2 per blade this wasn’t acceptable. So at £10 for a new razor which had 5 blades I at last had a chance to try a different system which was at least on a par price wise with the Mach 3.

I opened the Hydro 5 this morning which has a smooth action and although I did need to go over some areas more than once it did leave my skin smooth and there was a noticeable improvement reported by my wife as she started fondling my face with her hands. There were still some red blotches around my face but it is too early to determine whether they are new or a result of the Aldi razor that I had used the previous week but certainly it felt far more comfortable than the Gillette Mach 3 even when I had put them in the razor for the first time. In fact, my skin still feels smooth some 6 hours after using the new Hydro 5.

It is far too soon to tell whether these blades last as long as the Gillette Mach 3 but the early signs are good and replacements cartridges are priced similarly to those of the Mach 3 – on sale at Tesco for £8.49 (4 blades) or £14.99 (8 blades) so even if they don’t last any longer they give a much smoother result.

So what makes it better? Well, it has 5 blades against the 3 of the Mach 3 and has a self-lubricating strip that helps to prevent skin drying out as it cuts. It also has a system that tells you when you should replace the blades – when the holes of the gel reservoir are all empty, which hopefully won’t happen for a while.

Gillette does offer the Fusion range which I have tried (a converted blade was included with a set of Mach 3 cartridges several months ago) but to me is no match to the Hydro 5. Fusion blades are more expensive than those of the Wilkinson Sword product selling for £18 for a set of 8 at Tesco, but are not as effective despite Gillette claims that they are the most technological blades they have manufactured.

I have no doubt, that my conversion to Wilkinson Sword is long term and my experience of the Hydro 5 with its 5 blades will not be unwise.

offers "Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Razor"