Washing Up/Dishes

Review of "Wilko Functional Dish Brush"

published 06/10/2017 | justarube
Member since : 09/04/2014
Thank you everyone for all your reads and rates over the years and thanks Ciao for letting me be part of the community. Hope to see some of you on other sites, perhaps. xx
Pro Strong, flexible, helps me get things done!
Cons None.

"Invaluable Kitchen Utensil!"

Wilko Functional Dish Brush

I bought a couple of these Wilko Functional Dish Brushes earlier in the year. I did not actually use a dish brush prior to this and instead relied on a simple scourer product to hand wash my dishes. However, since making my purchase I have come to realise that these brushes are an invaluable asset in the kitchen! I couldn't do without one of these brushes now.

What Can They Be Used For?

I keep a brush near the kitchen sink and I find it useful for a number of things. In my opinion the brush is best used to remove either soft excess food on plates, bowls, pans or baking dishes. It is also handy for helping to remove tougher burnt bits on baking trays or tins although I ultimately find that using the brush in conjunction with a scourer gets a better result in the long run.

I use my brush for 'dirty' jobs too such as brushing out my plastic compost bin collector box. It is a carry box we use to transport any food waste to our outdoor compost bin and it tends to accumulate a nasty brown sludge at the bottom as the vegetable matter breaks down. I clean the box regularly but it's such a dirty job that if I use a scourer to clean it I have to throw the scourer away. However, I've discovered the Wilko Functional Brush is perfect for cleaning the box as the brush can be well rinsed afterwards.

The brush can also be used for other jobs in the kitchen such as cleaning the oven or bench tops. The brush bristles can get into hard to reach areas and clean out the tiniest ingrained amount of dirt.

Obviously the brush could also be used elsewhere in the house and I'm considering leaving one in my bathroom so that people can scrub off the toothpaste from the basin without much fuss.

What Are The Benefits Of The Brush?

One great thing about the brush is that I often don't even have to get my hands wet when I'm using the product. The long handle allows me to keep my hands clear of the dirt and this is a great help for me as I seem to end up with very dry hands from doing the dirty work around the house!

The brush is very versatile and can be used on a number of jobs. It's rather like having a sponge cleaner and a harder steel brush all in one with this brush. It can tackle easy jobs but it can also go to work on the harder jobs.

The brush has a flat scraping edge on the top of the bristles. I actually didn't realise what this was at first. I thought it was just where the plastic got thinner but it is actually designed to be used as a scraper so it can remove hard lumpy burned pieces from your baking trays etc.

The brush has a hook so it can be hung up to dry between washes. This is great as it means the brush dries out and it is more hygienic. The brush is actually really easy to clean because there is a good amount of space between each group of bristles so food doesn't get stuck in the brush and will simply wash down the length of the bristles.

The Design

The brush is made of white plastic and has a long handle of about 6 inches with a integrated hook at the end. The brush head is tilted with the flat scraper slanting upwards from the edge of the bristles.The handle is really easy to grip and I like the length. I feel like I have a lot of control when I'm using it. The handle is very strong but there is some flexibility when I press down with the brush head. I think it is unlikely to ever snap.

The bristles are roughly just over an inch in length and they are packed tightly into pegged holes with groups of about 40 individual bristles.in each hole. There are about 35 holes across the brush head. The brush fans out so that when you use it you can tilt it and move it around easily.

How Long Do They Last?

How long they last depends on how much you use them but I think my first brush lasted about four months. I decided to start using a new brush as the bristles on my brush had started to bend upwards slightly and this was affecting the performance of the brush. However, I think even as the brush is starting to break down it can still be used for a number of jobs.
Price and Availability

These are only 40p from Wilkinsons on the high street and you can also buy them online at:

www.wilko.com

I think the price is very cheap and given how long they last I think it is definitely worth investing your pennies in one of these!

Would I Recommend?

I would absolutely recommend these brushes to anyone who still washes their dishes by hand or to anyone who needs a bit of extra help in the kitchen. They are well made and they are able to save me a lot of time and effort.

• rolandrat123 published 04/11/2017