Wilson Golf Ultra Stand Bag

Wilson Golf Ultra Stand Bag

Review of "Wilson Golf Ultra Stand Bag"

published 25/09/2016 | thedevilinme
Member since : 13/05/2008
I think President Trump has more chance of appointing an Ambassador by April.
Good
Pro Cheap
Cons Not too durable
Durabiltiy
Price

"Is golf the new cycling once again?"

When Bradley Wiggins started doing really rather well in the Tour de France middle-class men started to put down their golf clubs and put on the Lycra and tear up the country roads. Rory Mcilroy and Justin Rose were no longer their idols, and coupled with high fuel prices, middle aged men decided to squeeze into their favorite team’s colors and cycle to work and play instead. After this weeks revelations they will have to reach for their inhalers to keep up and with the Ryder Cup next week then maybe gold with be their sport once again. The whistling on the podium during the National Anthem told you all you need know about this cheaters respect for the sport and integrity. I, on the other hand, cycle and play golf and won’t be wearing the Lycra or the Pringle any day soon.

I have accrued my golf clubs over the years and bought my first one when I was 16. I have all manner of brands and names on my wedges and drivers in my bag, everything from a Nick Faldo sand wedge to a Lee Trevino rescue club. After a while I abandoned using a driver as I could never really hit the ball straight and far with one so just carry a 5 wood and a 3 Iron for distance. I like to plot, not smash, my way around the course. Once you are in the rough or sand you start to have a bad round very quickly. The game is all around hitting the ball straight after all. The key to hitting with a 3 iron is minimum draw back on the wing, of course. If it hits the sweet spot you are a way, low and straight and the bounce will bring up the 200 meters.

So I have the sticks but what about the basket? Well, we all know if we need a second hand guitar or golf bag the best place to find one cheap is charity shop. They are always staring at you like a stray dog at the pound waiting to be rescued, the owners giving up a hobby that was just too hard.

My old bag was a bit small and stinky and I needed a bigger one to put all the stuff in. I couldn’t get my waterproofs in and my whisky so more storage space required. So walking past a charity shop there was a secondhand Wilson bag for just £30. It looked pretty new and probably a dead mans bag where the wife has bought it in as she has divorced him or he croaked on the golf course. Either way I have no problems buying anything but underwear second hand. Its not one of those expensive behemoths the Americas cart around in Palm Springs that cost about $400.
Spec

• Umbrella holder
• Towel ring / glove holder
• Rain hood
• Easy embroidery bottom panel

The bag is about £80 in Sports Direct or Argos and stands around a meter or so. It’s made of a plastic looking leather substitute with 8 club dividers. Pro golfers use up to 14 clubs in their bags. I use just 9-10. My handicap is round 15 right now and more of a touch and feel golfer. I can use a 7 iron like a pitching wedge down to a five iron. Around the greens is my strength and I make those irons talk.

2 decent sized side pockets are good for booze, golf tees and gloves etc with two larger pockets lower down the bag for an extra fleece and the waterproofs and 5 smaller ones higher up for stuff. The strap is easy on the shoulder with extra padding and double cut for over the shoulder walking and a solid bottom panel to slam it down in a huff. You can attach towels, umbrellas, gloves, and drinks canisters on various holders. A rain cover keeps the clubs dry but not a zip up job. The novelty extra is the V shaped metal stand to keep the bag static and upright that folds out.

I have had the bag for a year now and it’s OK but no more. It falls over on the stand if the ground is too boggy and the wind is howling. The pockets are fine but the bag does take water. That means rust and condensation damage on the clubs if they remain in the bag in the garage or cellar. The bag material scratches and the stitching not the best but it’s holding together so far. It has to be lumped around 18 holes. The bottom does sit on a hire trolley as the bag has no wheels. For £80 top end I would not pay that. It’s worth £50 and definitely one to pick up in a charity shop.

• anonymili published 10/10/2016