Grimsbyga... 2

Grimsbygal

Member since:18.01.2001

Wolves Uni is definitely not wonderful

22.03.2001

Advantages:
lots of course to chose from

Disadvantages:
not very organised

Recommendable No:

2. scoopy2scoops
  3. MRSCANADA
  1. TheNeil
  2. pauljm

I have just found out I have got more money from the Premium fund so I have decided to celebrate by writing another opinion.
I thought it was about time that I write an opinion on beloved university. I am in my second year studying marketing and drama. When I first looked around this university I liked it. It was near to the town centre and the halls looked great. Also it did the course I wanted to do as most universities didn’t.
When I got here in September 99 my views didn’t change. For a few weeks I really liked the place. Soon though the novelty wore off and I began to hate it.
I will try and explain to you as much as I can about the university.

The University itself

The University of Wolverhampton is one of the largest universities in the UK with over 22,000 students.

Wolverhampton University is actually made up of several different campuses.

Mainsite

The Wolverhampton mainsite is in the middle of the town centre. It does subjects such as Computing, Languages, Drama, Psychology, Law, Art, Science, Film and many others. It is the biggest of all the campuses and this is where most of the action goes on.

Telford

The university also has a campus at Telford. It is also known as Wolverhampton Business School (WBS). This is the newest of all the campuses and is really nice and modern. The problem with this campus is it is in the middle of nowhere so having a car is really a necessity.

Dudley

Dudley caters for Media and English students. This campus is due to close in 2002 as the other campuses are been improved.

Compton

Compton is only a couple of miles from Wolverhampton town centre and also offers Business courses. It is a small campus and everyone seems to know each other.

Walsall

Walsall is mainly for sport and education courses. It has a gym and swimming pool although the outside sports facilities are not great. It is also very small and reminds me of a holiday camp.

My degree is under Walsall but my lectures are at Mainsite and Compton.

Shuttle services

As the campuses are spread out they offer a free bus service that goes from one campus to another on a quite regular basis. These buses are often full and this can mean standing up on long journeys or even having to wait for the next bus. Buses often leave early or are very late.

Accommodation

Overall the Halls of Residence are of good quality. At all campuses they are either on site or within very short walking distance. At mainsite there are three different complexes. North Road offer very nice ensuite halls, which are only a few years old. They also have Lomas Street and Randall Lines. I personally would not like to stay in the Randall Lines Halls as they are unhygienic and also look horrible.
For second and third year students a rented house is probably a better option. The university offer a list, which contains all the student-accredited landlords in the surrounding areas. The main student area in Wolverhampton is Whitmore Reans. I live in this area and to say it is rough is an understatement. I do not feel safe in my own home. The noises of police sirens are a regular occurrence.

International Students

The university has almost 3000 international students enrolled. The halls of residence are full of foreign students. They offer many facilities for foreign students and have an International Student Handbook available to look at on the university web page.

Disabled Students

There are not many disabled students at this university although they have the facilities required. They have special student housing for disabled students and special low buses. They also have ramps and lifts in the buildings although I think they could make vast improvements in this area.

Deaf and hearing-impaired students

The university has lots of deaf students. They cater for these by having sign language interpreters, note taking and lip speakers. They also have many clubs for the deaf and they seem to enjoy their student lives as much as anyone else.

Part-time students

There are many part time students at the university. They seem to get a lot more support than the full time students.

Mature Students

There are lots of mature students at the university. When I first came it I was surprised how many mature students there were. I was one of the youngest there.

E-learning

The university offer an online degree for Business Administration and I think they are in the process of offering more.

Staff

Many staff at the university will do anything to help you but others are very unhelpful. I have had good and bad experiences with lecturers from the university. I think the university has a bad communication system and to find even simple things out you have to end up going on a mission.

University financial unit

The university have a support team to help you with financial problems. They will help you if you are having problems getting your loan and also if you have used up all of your loan.

Location

The Mainsite campus is very near to the train station, only five minutes walk. It is in the middle of the town centre so it is easy to go shopping between lectures.

Learning resources

The university have libraries on all campuses. They are well organised and books are easy to find. There are computer labs at every campus although you may have to be prepared to stand in a queue waiting for an available computer. Many are often not working which adds to the frustration.

Courses

The university offer a wide variety of different courses in hundreds of different subjects. I cannot think off the top of my head any subjects the university does not cover.

Student Union

The Wolverhampton Student union is quite good offering quite big club nights. The also offer a free bus home after the club has closed giving females priority. There are many clubs that you can join free of charge. If you want to join a club that doesn’t exist you can set one up yourself.

Athletic Union

The university has a club for almost every sport. I have played for the girls football team and have discovered the union is not greatly organised. They arrange buses to away matches which are often late or don’t even turn up. Other sports available are fencing, volleyball, netball, hockey, swimming, parachuting, karate, rugby and many others.

My experiences with my course

So I have told you things I know about the university but I haven’t really told you a great deal about my own experiences. As I am doing a combined degree I feel I am not given enough advice and support. I always seem to find out things from fellow students studying for a single subject. I have had many problems with timetables and organisation. For example I went back to university in February to begin semester 2. I had arranged my timetable months before but confirmed it just two weeks before I was due to start. On my first day I checked the timetable to look for room numbers. One of my modules had changed to Telford from Compton, which caused major problems, as it would mean me missing some of the lecture. Another module had totally disappeared from the timetable. I don’t think this is suitable for such a big universities.
I have also had problems with lecturers who have not replied to my emails that have been very important.
I find that all my modules contain too many students. For one of the marketing modules there are too many people to fit into the lecture room so people end up sitting on the stairs. For drama group sizes cause many problems and I think the university should not accept as many people. I think the university are been greedy enrolling as many people as they can so they get more money.

Friend’s experiences

My friends too have had bad experiences with the university.

One of my housemates is studying BA Languages and has had many problems. She is meant to be studying German Intermediate Level. In her first year she was told that there were not enough tudents to do this subject so she would have to do German beginners. This meant in her first year she was going over work she had already done at GCSE. When she got to her second yea she was then told there was not enough students to carry on with this so she would have to do German Advanced. This meant her going from something she found too easy to something she didn’t understand. She couldn’t drop this subject as she is aiming towards a languages degree that needs three languages. She has to go to all the lectures and gets no support from her lecturer.

One of my foreign friends had trouble getting the degree she wanted. She thought she had studies everything she needed but when it got to her last year she was told she hadn’t done a module she was meant to have done. This meant her having to stay in England for another Semester to complete this module. If she was told this sooner she could have done something about it earlier.

Conclusion

I think the university could be a lot more organised than it is. It is okay me telling you as much as I can about the facilities and courses on offer but at the end of the day experience is usually more helpful. Personally if I could go back and make my decision again I would not have come to this University.

I am not too keen on the area as it is rough and very dirty. At the minute part of the mainsite campus resembles a building site. They have recently knocked down one of the buildings to build a new state of the art block.

I think the university should be more concerned with people missing lectures as so many people get away worth it I don’t think it is fair.

If you want to find out more about the university check out the following website. This tells you just about everything you need to know and gives you telephone numbers if you want to know more.

www.wlv.ac.uk

UnholyConfessions 07.01.2007 01:52

Good review. I start there in a few weeks and live near whitmore reans myself in slightly nicer Claregate and your right about the trouble... My g/f lives in the walsall halls and again your right, the novelty of it all wears off. Very informative.

gezabel 24.03.2005 02:38

I completely agree that the uni is unorganised I am in my third year and I can't wait until I have finished. we are always moaning about the way we are being treated. I had a serious illness and missed a lot of time I was given 1 week extention, and trying to get in touch with them to find out what was going on was a nightmare. i don't even think they check their e-mails

alana_inness 28.03.2001 18:08

I totally agree with the points made. I have been attending this university since September, I find their administration to be absolutely appalling. Having worked in a different university (also a former poly) I cannot understand how they can lket their students down so badly.