Woman In Gold (DVD)

Woman In Gold (DVD)

Review of "Woman In Gold (DVD)"

published 11/08/2017 | IzzyS
Member since : 27/07/2006
Thanks for all rates. Let me know if I dont re-rate you - I will rectify it ASAP.
Pro Thought provoking, cast, settings/cinematography,
Cons Subtitles, bleak plot aspects perhaps?
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"A Fascinating Dramatisation Of A Truly Bittersweet Story"

- Story -

A Jewish refugee and octogenarian, by the name of Maria Altmann, decides to take the Austrian government on, with hopes of recovering artwork she believes to belong to her family, which was stolen by Nazis in the 2nd World War. Will she manage to get the artwork back and, more importantly, feel a sense of justice having been served? you'll have to watch the film to find out.

- More Info., Thoughts & Opinions -

This is a historical drama film, with biographical elements and it features themes including justice, theft and red tape. I found myself admiring Maria from quite early on, as she came across as a very determined and self assured, plus of course a very principled lady. The story interested me and I could only imagine how someone in Marias position would feel. The plot pace is surprisingly brisk, all things considered. There are some quite pretty shots, of a plush hotel interior, upmarket buildings in the area Maria remembers from many decades ago and so on. This applies both to the present day and also in flashback type scenes of Maria when she was much younger. Some of the music featured is quite light in tone, quite cheery and jolly, yet there are of course sad undertones, due to the plot and thus, I found it bittersweet.

I liked the way the plot worked, with details about Maria's family, what paperwork there is and what happened to people in the past, slowly becoming clear. It is understdandbly emotive, with various elderly people speaking about their own memories of what was taken from their family during the war. I found it quite sobering to watch how some officials reacted to Maria's plight but I'll say no more, so as not to spoil the film for anyone, of course.

Cast wise, there are a number of big names who feature in this film. Helen Mirren plays Maria Altmann, who is, as I say, quite a stubborn and certainly admirable lady. It reminded me of the film Philomena, in which Mirren played a similar person with a sad past to come to terms with. Meanwhile, Ryan Reynolds plays Randy Schoenberg, Maria's American lawyer. He comes across as quite a professional, if somewhat junior person, seemingly with his heart in the right place. He is relatively inquisitive, understandably so. Other characters include Pam Schoenberg, Randy's wife, played by Katie Holmes (I think its nice to see her in more roles nowadays, after her divorce from Tom Cruise). Meanwhile, the younger, adolescent depiction of Maria is played by Tatiana Maslany, who seemed quite charming, looking quite beautiful. Meanwhile, Max Irons plays Fritz Altmann and Charles Dance plays Sherman.

Content wise, the film contains little in the way of violence and no sexual content, although some instances of strong language and there are, somewhat inevitably, sobering scenes set during the second world war, scenes showing the desperation of people caught up in times of bloodshed.

It is a thought provoking watch, with some interesting plot twists along the way. I found it certainly an interesting watch, not least as its based on a true story. It made me want to go online and look in to other families who have attempted to regain similar possessions. On the downside, there are various scenes featuring subtitles, so be prepared to read a fair amount of those, during scenes featuring the Altmanns while living in Austria as the Nazis took power, when they spoke german. On the plus side, said subtitles are shown in a surprisingly large font size on screen, so if your eyesight isn't great, then it may not be as awkward as reading subtitles on other shows possibly? I still thought I should mention it though.

- Would I Recommend It? -

Yes, I'd recommend this film for telling an interesting story, being thought provoking and featuring a good cast. It has some nice settings/cinematography as well.

- Availability -

If your interested in seeing this, you can buy it on DVD for £5.50 at Amazon UK, at time of publishing this review.

- Final Note / Thank You -

Thank you for reading my review, I hope you found it useful and thanks, as ever, for any and all rates and comments. This review may be published elsewhere but where this applies, it'll be posted alongside the same username.

• euphie published 01/09/2017
    vh :o)
  • kiss_me2070 published 14/08/2017
    Good review.
  • danielclark691 published 13/08/2017
    vh

offers "Woman In Gold (DVD)"