Woolworths (Shop)

Woolworths (Shop)

Review of "Woolworths (Shop)"

published 24/01/2001 | anjib
Member since : 19/12/2000
Pro mail order and Internet ordering, low postage charges, lots of stores
Cons internet numbers don't match catalogue numbers for ordering goods
Range of products
Speed of delivery

"Woolies to the rescue"

I am a big woolworths fan (affectionatly "Woolies"). I can remember our Woolies even as a kid. I live in Coventry, and if anybody knows the town, then they may remember how it used to be.

It used to be a huge store with big doors and the pick n mix sweets at the front. I think the records and toys were next. The cafe has always been good, and its pulling power for me now, is that there is a small play area in the cafe which is great as when I am shopping with my son, we can go in there for a coffee or lunch, and they are all geared up for him.

One childhood memory is the foodhall. Now, our store doesn't have a foodhall now, and would be interested to know from other members if any stores sell food now. They used to sell Whitworth branded foods, and for years I thought that this was their own brand name, but of course it isnt.

Recently, I have been looking for 2 ERTL models from the Thomas and the Magic Railroad film. They hadn't got any in our store, so I looked up Woolworth on the Internet and their web site is very good.

I found that they offer a Woolworth Direct Internet service, as well as a mail order side that you can phone up and place an order direct. I looked up the toys I was looking for and found them straight away. I ordered them, and the order for some reason couldn't go through for processing. I was desperate for the toys so made a note of the order numbers and telephoned the order through.

I was straight through to the operator. I gave the numbers to be told that they were different on the internet than in the catalogue (I presume you can ask for a catalogue). I thought that this was a bit silly.

The operator said that if you place an order on the Internet, and an item/s are not in stock then it will very often not process the order (unfortunately the system can't tell you if an item is out of stock). I suddenly realised that I had infact made an error. I tried again and it went straight through. The postage for this service was only £1.50 which I thought was excellent. It is usually £3.50 for other shopping sites.

The email that confirmed my order said that I would be emailed upon despatch of my order. To my surprise, my parcel was delivered to my door in a plain white van, just over 24 hours later (didn't get a confirmation email after all).

My son will have the model trains that he wants for his birthday after all thanks to Woolies.

• M.T.J published 24/01/2001
    Great insight into your woolies experiences, well done.

Product Information : Woolworths (Shop)

Listed on Ciao since: 13/09/2000