Working from Home

Working from Home

Review of "Working from Home"

published 10/07/2016 | ravingreviewer
Member since : 28/03/2014
And now another Ciao member has jumped on board, apparently the title of my latest review is not suited to 21st century Britain - even though it is linked in to the review!
Pro It works well for some people...
Cons ... but not for others.

"Never again."

A few years ago whilst in between jobs and wondering what to do next or even indeed where my life was going, I decided to try working from home. Everyone will have a completely different story or reason for doing so, and so I would just like to offer my own experiences of doing so.

Having my own transport, I decided to become self employed and carry out deliveries for a couple of local distribution companies - I used to deliver parcels to Plymouth and the surrounding areas for one, and leaflets/ newspapers/ magazines/ anything else they distributed on behalf of clients for another.

All that was asked of me from both of these companies was a decent mode of contact, so they could make contact as and when they needed to do so (I had both a landline and also a mobile telephone which they were both happy with). And on top of this, that I carried out all deliveries in the agreed time frame - with the delivery of parcels it was normally what people had ordered online within 48 hours maximum, and with the other it was within a week of the papers being printed and delivered to my door (although sometimes certain clients they had insisted on quicker time frames).

Payment from these companies came in on a monthly basis, and was a mixture of a regular income and commission based payments according to how many deliveries I had to make and so on. However although these different companies paid me I was still classed as self employed, as I could always turn the work down if I didn't feel like working for a few days - however, this did of course mean that if I didn't work then I wouldn't get paid quite so much.

And with also being classed as having been self employed, this meant that I had to register as working in this manner with HMRC - and so therefore I was then responsible for my own tax returns and so on, and providing details such as bank statements and so on to them. But although some months I was able to work a whole host of hours and earn lots of money, there were still some months when pay was down - and whereas I knew that I could make it up during the course of other months, I still had bills and so on to pay.

Which meant that I had to go the local Jobcentre after a while and sign on, which was more of a headache in itself for me. I had to then declare all of my earnings on a regular basis, and what made matters worse is that it was not seen as a 'regular job' in terms of the amount of hours that I worked - and so therefore after a period of a couple of months of this, I was glad to land myself a full time job working away for twelve months which then lead on to other things.

And so therefore, my advice to you would be - don't work from home unless you know that you are going to have a regular income (such as the company you work from require you to work from home or you do something like online selling that guarantees you the regular income), or if you are in a relationship with someone who has a regular income so that if for whatever reason you are not earning then at least you will have something to fall back on.

But to finish on, I would just like to briefly highlight what I feel are the pros and cons of working from home - hopefully which have been evident at some point during the course of my review. On the plus side, you get to choose your own hours to suit your own needs and demands and you get to do (hopefully!) what you enjoy. You may also get to meet a whole host of weird and wonderful people, and also earn some money on the way.

However it has to be said on the somewhat more negative side you may have to put in even more hours to get the money in, and even then it may not be quite not so much as what you had originally been expecting - as I found, which resulted me in having to go and sign on.

And so therefore, it leaves me with no other option but to say - enter at your own peril or risk! I took the step of working from home, but it didn't work out for me - hence which is why I would not recommend it to anyone else to do, although I do understand that for some people it may work better than what it did for me.

Thanks for reading!

• IzzyS published 03/09/2017
    Good review.
  • armor567 published 24/08/2016
    VH
  • Secre published 19/08/2016
    I'd want to stay in bed all day!!

Product Information : Working from Home