Worldbooks

Worldbooks

Review of "Worldbooks"

published 20/09/2003 | kappaslappa
Member since : 13/07/2003
Still married to Badger_Boy and now has a blog - www.beautyqueenuk.co.uk
Pro There are none
Cons Everything about them
Variety on offer
Catalogue
Purchase obligations

"Send me one more letter and i will sue you"

It all sounds so appealing doesnt it, you get a flyer, or see the website and it says "get 6 books for 1p each, plus a free book" and you think great im having some of that and off you go checking through the offers and filling in the form, either online or on the flyer.

One word of warning - DONT DO IT!! Okay so thats three words but it all means the same thing, i urge you NOT to go anywhere near this company for the reasons i am about to tell you.

About a year ago when i was living at home, they contacted me and said that i owed them £21 for some books i had ordered and not paid for. My first reaction was "who the hell are you" and the second "how did you get my number". They had phoned me on my mobile phone saying they would be sending me a final demand and if it wasnt paid within seven days they would take me to court.

The thing is, i have never in my life ordered a thing from them, i have seen the flyers so i have heard of them and know who they are, but after my dealings with Brittania Music Company, i vowed never ever to use a company like this again.

Anyway, the next thing i know is my mum has forwarded on my post to me, which she does on a weekly basis and there is an official looking letter, so i open it and its from some debt agency saying i had to pay £24.95 within 7 days or some baylifts will be round to collect the payment.

So i ring the number on the letter and am put through to someone who sounds like they havent got a clue what they are doing, to be told that there is nothing they can do, they have been instructed that i owe the payment and she advises i pay it first and then take up the arguments with the companyt itself, they are just a debt collection agency.

So i decided to make the payment over the phone there and then and then ring World Books to find out what exactly is going on.

I rang World Books and decided to see what was going on, and after telling them that they had sent demands to me at my parents address, somewhere i had not lived for 5 years was ridiculous and outrageous they apologised and said it was their mistake and they would end all form of threats and letters from thereonin.

So there was me thinking it had all been dealt with when 2 weeks later, another letter, from the same debt collection agency arrived asking me to pay £2.34 within 7 days or someone will be round to collect it. Once again i rang the debt collection agency and they said it was an administration fee which had to be paid within 7 days by postal order.

So i started to argue with the man on the phone that id paid the previous amount and was trying to claim it back because i had never ordered anything from World Books in the first place and he said it wasnt his problem, pay the money or i would face the consequences, so i asked to be put through to someone senior and i got some toffee nosed idiot saying they were acting on information they had been passed to from World Books.

So i told him that i hadnt lived at that address for 5 years, that it was my parents house and that i did not appreciate those kind of letters being sent there and he said if i could send some proof of my address through, like a bill with my name on it and my bank statement he would sort it out. So thats what i did about 2 weeks ago now and once again a letter has been sent to me asking me to pay £2.34 again!

This time, ive written them a letter setting out dates and times of all the phone calls, with copies of letters ive been sent and the payment i made, ive even highlighted the payment on my bank statement and proof of where i live and i have told them that if i receive anymore letters from them, then i will take legal action for harrassment.

Ive never ever ordered anything from World Books in my life and this is a warning to anyone who thinks their lucrative deal looks really good. It really isnt worth the hassle, well not the hassle ive been through having NOT ordered a thing!

**If you do decide to order from this company, please read all the privacy policies and small prints to make sure you wont end up in a worse situation than i am in at the minute**

Please ignore the ratings, having not used this company i cannot comment on them for their services.

• nereesa85 published 15/08/2005
    Trading standards and possibly Fraud charges come to mind? I just got an email from these guys and was considering it!!! was begginning to wonder how they made their money and the terms and conditions they offered wasnt exactly comprehensive (about 20 words long I think!!!) great review you saved my purse and possibly temper! must be fate
  • missixty published 29/04/2005
    These offers do always look tempting but I have always been wary of them!
  • Littleswamp1 published 06/01/2005
    Another ex user here! The moral of this story is to read the small print. I didn't had ended up having to order six books over two years that I didn't really want. Once you sign up, they have got you by the short and curlies! Book shopping? Stick to the High Street!