Wrinklies' Wit & Wisdom - Rosemarie Jarski

Wrinklies' Wit & Wisdom - Rosemarie Jarski

Review of "Wrinklies' Wit & Wisdom - Rosemarie Jarski"

published 27/10/2013 | dynamicnurse
Member since : 30/07/2007
Pro Good value.
Cons Rude at times.
Degree of Information
How easy was it to read / get information from
How interesting was the book?
How useful was it?
Would you read it again?

"Ironing out the Wrinkles..."

This book is entitled Wrinklies’ Wit and Wisdom, and has a sub heading of Humorous Quotes About Getting on a Bit. It is written by a lady called Rosemarie Jarski, who has also written another two or three books (at least according to the inner pages on this particular book) that includes Wisecracks - Great lines from the classic Hollywood movies.

This particular edition has been published as a hardback copy, and was published by Prion (under Carlton Publishing Group) in 2005. It has some 272 pages which includes an index, and looks at the various quotes that those people of a ‘certain age’ have made. And in case you were wondering, the index pages are there in order to help you find a quote by a certain person that has been included within these pages.

Over the course of the majority of this particular book, quotes have been included by ‘real people’ - the others are made up, and include quotes from people in the Simpsons; The Golden Girls; characters from Victoria Wood, and so on.

But those people who have also actually been included are people such as Mark Twain; Joan Rivers; Bob Monkhouse; Terry Wogan, and various people from the Royal Family (including their aides and so on) - all hoping to impart some of their apparent wisdom from down the years.

Within the pages of this book, some of the following areas of interest have been included. And for an idea of what to expect from it, I have also included at least one quote from that particular area.

Secrets of Long Life. My father died at 102. Whenever I would ask what kept him going, he’d answer, ‘I never worry’. (Jerry Stiller).

Going, Going, Gone! When I get in a taxi, the first thing they say is, ‘Hello Eric, I thought you were dead’. (Eric Sykes).

Carpe Diem. Most of us spend our lives as if we had another on in the bank (Ben Irwin).

Marriage. I gave him the best years of my thighs. (Dorothy Zbornak, The Golden Girls).

Grandparents Observed. My grandmother was utterly convinced I’d wind up as the Archbishop of Canterbury. And, to be honest, I’ve never entirely ruled it out. (Hugh Grant).

There are many other subjects listed within this book as I have already mentioned - some that are too rude to write down; others that are more than simple or to the point, and a few that don’t really make much sense. But on the whole, I do feel that this gives a really good few on what so many people think of old age and the laughs and low points that it gives them.

I found this book for around the £5 mark at one of my local garden centres (which is where I seem to get most of them!), and this book seems to me to be the sort of the book that you would find there as opposed to in an actual book shop (which is somewhere that I have never found it if I am going to be brutally honest with you!). And yet of course as with anything these days, prices will change if you were to find it online.

But for those of you wish to know and have it, then the ISBN number is as follows: 1-85375-588-5.

This is one of those books that will make an excellent extra present for someone, either for their birthday or at Christmas because it is in my own humble opinion a little bit different than a lot of other books that are similar to this particular one. But with this said, it is also a book that is just good to have on your shelves if you fancy a little nostalgia or a little humour (or indeed even a little sobering thought from time to time!).

Thanks for reading!

• Mildew82 published 28/10/2013
    Sounds like a good stocking filler!
  • miloh published 27/10/2013
    I like these kind of books. I've got a "Grumpy old women" one stashed somewhere .Nicely done.
  • sympatic published 27/10/2013