Writers Advice on Writing for magazines

Writers Advice on Writing for magazines

Review of "Writers Advice on Writing for magazines"

published 12/04/2005 | dominichyde
Member since : 08/04/2005
Pro I'm the boss. Sort of.
Cons The Ed pays my wages. Maybe

"Can I have it by 9AM tomorrow?"

This is the question a features editor put to me at 4pm on a day when I had to be in 6 different places at the one time and take the kids to the dentist and pick up the dry cleaning and and and... You get the idea, right?

So what did I say? I said, 'Well of course, no problem; I'll make sure it's in your inbox by then...' The 'it' in question was 800 words, had to rib-ticklingly funny, had to have a Christmas theme and must not contain the word 'stuffing.' Er, okay, so what's wrong with stuffing? 'Makes the Ed feel sick.' Fine. One ribtickler, no stuffing, coming up.

Some hours later, I faced a blank screen, couldn't find anything remotely funny to write and began to panic. Panic is good in my case. It wasn't the thought of kissing goodbye to the dosh the nice Ed had offered but the cringingly awful thought of her thinking I couldn't deliver. All this galvanised me into action. Three hours later, I had the thing done. By midnight it was charging across cyberspace. By ten the next morning, I had an e-mail from the Ed that said 'Thanks, you're a star. Send us your invoice.' Do I look like I need asking twice?

But it's not always like this with editors actually asking if you'll write for them. Mostly it's studying the magazine, looking at language level, article length, house style and then trying to write something that is different, original and well written that fits all of the above. And even when you've done all that; even when you have written something stunning, perfect for the market, double-line spaced it, got wider margins than the M6 and have written a brief gorgeous covering letter, it plops back through your letter box with a nice 'naff off' letter totallying a whole one sentence and is signed by the guy who cleans the photocopier.

But, (you knew there had to be a 'but') if you and your ego can cope with it, it's a good way to earn a living. You can't be 'precious' and 'artistic' about it - it's a business, like any other. You have to keep records of where you've sent stuff and who has paid up and who hasn't and you have to be well read yourself.

So how to rate 'writing for magazines' as a job? Well it's not 'very poor.' Very poor would be a job where I was required to wear polyester and say 'do you want fries with that...' And it's not 'excellent.' An excellent job would be 'chief executive of licking body chocolate off Alan Rickman.' But it's good - not great but good. I like it. I like it best when I get paid!

The basics of dos and don'ts are covered in the annual edition of The Writer's Handbook which everyone should thumb and scribble meaningful pencil notes on. The rest is graft, research and growing a thick skin. Oh yes, and remembering that some eds don't like stuffing...

• CGholy published 22/10/2017
    vh
  • Martinscholes published 05/09/2005
    And some editors might not like stuffing but need it all the same... :)
  • Ryan74 published 15/04/2005
    Good advice... what mag do you write for?

Product Information : Writers Advice on Writing for magazines

Listed on Ciao since: 22/08/2001

Writers Advice on Writing for magazines - Review - Can I have it by 9AM tomorrow?
Home > Books > Writer's Corner > Member's Advice on Writing > Writers Advice on Writing for magazines > Reviews

dominichy... 4

dominichyde

Member since:08.04.2005

Can I have it by 9AM tomorrow?

12.04.2005

Advantages:
I'm the boss .   Sort of .

Disadvantages:
The Ed pays my wages .   Maybe

5 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. CGholy
  2. Martinscholes
  3. Ryan74
  1. Protagonist
  2. AnitaM
  3. HotBabes

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

CGholy 22.10.2017 23:30

vh

Martinscholes 05.09.2005 00:47

And some editors might not like stuffing but need it all the same... :)

Ryan74 15.04.2005 17:04

Good advice... what mag do you write for?