AnneLorra... 5

AnneLorraine1

About me: Thank you for taking the trouble to rate my reviews. Please don't worry about thanking me for E rates, there's no need.

Member since:02.06.2010

www.widerfitshoes.co.uk

10.12.2010

Advantages:
Made to be comfortable and fit wide and even extra extra wide feet .

Disadvantages:
None really

45 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Graygirl
  2. xmum2fourx
  3. wazza115
  1. Wee_Jackie_163
  2. cornishchic
  3. pinky50

Nice And Warm With Room For My Toes-Ultra Wide Velcro Boots From Wider Fit shoes.

I don't think anyone who isn't in a similar position can understand how upsetting and frustrating it is not to be able to buy a pair of shoes shoes. Something that almost everyone I know takes for granted. Not a luxury but an essential. I could visit every shoe shop in the West End of London and not be able to buy a pair. And that's even if I were looking for an old fashioned sensible pair. It is upsetting when you're invited to a special occasion and your outfit must be governed by footwear. Most ladies buy the accessories last but I have to buy the outfit to match the shoes (sort of!) But the main thing is comfort. How I envy those who have cupboards full of stylish shoes. I too have shoes falling out of my wardrobe, but they are mainly trainers, that I buy thinking they may be okay but then I find I can only wear them for short periods, or not at all. This is due to a neuropathy condition.

As a child buying shoes was difficult but, although I'd seen members of the medical profession, the cause of my awkward feet wasn't known. In my teens I managed to wear platforms shoe though not with ease. As I got older my shoes would be bought form Kay's and Clarks until after my third child and a difficult labour, my condition worsened. I had an operation which didn't help and was referred to the hospital orthotics department to have shoes made. After years of this and many shoes, consultations and fittings I've just about given up. These shoes which cost hundreds of pounds to make, usually come up wrong made. I have had one pair which didn't match (design on front of shoe. The best shoes I have had made have been from a shop in India's New Delhi market, which my friend, who was living in India, kindly had made for me, using measurements and sketches. They weren't fantastic but were wearable and made a change from the usual trainers and Crocs.

My friend has returned to India and is trying to arrange a further pair. In the meantime, and after getting so fed up with the hospital efforts, I began to look on the internet for boots.

I came across DB shoes and their internet sales site Wider Fit Shoes, site towards the end of last winter. I thought this site looked quite good but knew even these type of shoes probably wouldn't fit my awful feet. My plan was to fit specially made insoles into them as some of their shoes are designed for an insert to be used. I thought these suppliers looked reliable so went ahead. As there are so many difficulties with my feet even buying from an outlet like this isn't easy, but it has given me some hope. I thought I'd share this site and boots as it may help others with awkward feet.

After writing a review on a different type of footwear I received some comments and messages from others with foot problems and so I hope this may be helpful.

I found this website great. It's really easy to navigate and full of information. They supply well-made shoes for men and women, slippers and boots. These shoes range from those that supply extra room for wide feet, to extra extra wide for those suffering with orthopaedic conditions or diabetes.
I would say that the shoes aren't the most fashionable but some aren't bad at all. Even at a younger age, I personally would have been happy to wear some of the designs for comfort, and just to have shoes on my feet.

This site is good. You can see all designs on the site or request a brochure. The site offers good information on whether claiming for VAT exemption, sizing (a downloadable foot measuring chart is available) and explanations about different fittings and which might be most suitable. If preferred you can discuss your order and obtain fitting advice by telephone. There are also some high street outlets of DB shoes but probably the stock will be limited.

I found a pair of boots that were worth a try and ordered them online. I received an email to say the order was being processed and a day or so later a further one to say the boots had been dispatched. They arrived speedily but, disappointingly, were not suitable. This was due to the sole being rounded and unsteady, for my condition. The actual look and quality seemed good. A returns slip and booklet was included in the packaging with easy to follow instructions so I decided rather than get a refund I would try another pair. So I duly filled in the returns form and ordered another pair, which were slightly cheaper. The parcel was dispatched at the post office. Quite soon the replacement pair of boots arrived. My account was credited with the difference in price.

As to the nature of my difficult feet I had little choice with the footwear on offer so decided that the Fiona design would be the best choice.

'Fiona' are designed for a wide foot. They are ideal for those with differing and varied foot problems including hammer toes, and wide feet. In fact, even for me they were wide (but I needed the depth) and had to insert a thicker insole. That is one of the good points about these shoes; one can remove the insole, use a different insole or, even use two, but you will have the depth as they offer a deep toe box.

These boots are not the most fashionable, I know, but I think that peeping out from under a pair of jeans they are fine. They look sturdy and well made, without painful seams, which my hospital made shoes have many of, causing deep blisters. However, if you don't need such wide shoe then some of their styles are rather nice. The designs are quite varied, offering summer shoes, either sandals or canvas comfort shoes, boots and casual designs, as well as smarter shoes more suitable for work.

The Fiona boots come in an extra wide size and are available in black or chestnut. I chose black. They have a wide Velcro strap which gives even more flexibility of fit. Although these are wide and deep I believe they are deceptive and don't look at all special shoes but chunky and comfortable.

I won't pretend that these are the answer to my problems. If only they were! I will have to, as with all footwear, wear them now and again to see how I get on with them but, up until now I am cautiously optimistic. They certainly feel as if they will keep my feet warm and dry.

FIONA:

* Leather Uppers

* Made In England

* Split Collar

* Removable In-Socks

The price is, 6E- £79 (£67.23 VAT exempt)
8E- £85 (72.34 VAT exempt)

Postage begins at £5.00 to U.K. destination, £15.00 to Europe and £25.00 to other destinations. I believe U.K. returns are free.

Here is some further information from Wider Fit Shoes (www.widerfitshoes.co.uk):

'Wider Fit Shoes Ltd is the mail order arm of DB Shoes Ltd, a long established UK manufacturer of wide fitting footwear since 1920.
When you talk to us, in effect you are talking to the manufacturer of your shoes. We are able to discuss your issues and help advise the shoe from our range that may be most suitable to your needs.'

Wider Fit Shoes Ltd can be contacted at:
19-21 Irchester Road
Rushden
Northamptonshire NN10 9XF
Tel: +44(0)1933 311077 Fax: +44(0)1933 410218

You can also contact Wider Fit Shoes by email at enquiry@widerfitshoes.co.uk

In summary I would say that shoes sold on this site are ideal for the normal foot as well as wide or difficult to fit feet.

Pictures of widerfitshoes.co.uk
widerfitshoes.co.uk ultra-wide-velcro-boots - Www.widerfitshoes.co.uk
Www.widerfitshoes.co.uk

Graygirl 31.01.2013 16:57

Excellent review x

xmum2fourx 09.10.2012 10:14

I've never heard of this before xx

wazza115 26.05.2012 13:23