XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Xbox 360)

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Xbox 360)

Genre: Shooter, Strategy - Publisher: 2K Games - Age Rating: 12+

Review of "XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Xbox 360)"

published 16/01/2013 | John-Mirra
Member since : 29/04/2010
"When life gives you lemons clone them and make super lemons"
Pro Great game play, storyline was passable, characterisation was brilliant.
Cons Could have done with being a bit longer.
Gameplay/Playability
Graphics
Sound
Difficulty & Complexity

"seX-COM Underpants Unknown"

X-COM (Xbox 360)

X-COM (Xbox 360)

Bonjour, Guten Tag and Konichwa bitches, unwrap my delightful, multicultural Xcom review.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a turn-based tactical role-playing strategy video game developed by Firaxis Games for publisher 2K Games, released on October 9, 2012 in North America and three days later in Europe and Australia for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The game is a "reimagined" remake of the 1994 cult classic strategy game UFO: Enemy Unknown (also known as X-COM: UFO Defense).

First Impressions

To be perfectly honest with you, I loved it, scratch that I’m in’. Having never played the originals I had no real bias a friend of mine told me about it and since I’m a fan of RTS games I thought I’d give this a go. I normally write notes as I play games I want to review but this game was so addictive I couldn’t stop playing long enough to write anything down, so this review may suffer as a result of Xcom being so great.
The game is about an alien invasion on earth and you are appointed as commander of the Xcom project, a coalition of member countries dedicated to studying and fighting the alien menace.
You basically spend most of your time fighting aliens and collecting their technology to reverse engineer your own weapons and equipment all the while setting up satellite system and underground base in which to monitor and defend the earth from alien attack.

Game play

I’d sort of describe it as a sci-fi version of full spectrum warrior or a mix of gears of war and command and conquer but it sort of reminded me of the assassins guild bit of assassins creed brotherhood (AKA; the only salvageable part of that game). You know the part where you recruit, train, equip and send assassins on missions across the globe and then sort of imagine what’s happening while faffing about climbing on rooftops and listening to the worst Italian accents known to man.

This game is basically that but you actually get to go on the missions and control them and not only do you get to kit them out but you can salvage alien tech and study it and research new armour and weapons. They also level up and gain new skills and cool little nicknames.
The nick names part I think is the most interesting because at the beginning of the game the characters just felt like pawns moving about on a chess board, they weren’t characters they were just randomly generated avatars, of varied race/gender/nationality. The first couple of missions some might day and it’s no big deal you just replace them, but the ones that survive and level up get randomly generated nicknames.

So it almost goes as far in terms of suspension of disbelief that these surviving vets are interacting in their down time, getting to know each other and giving each other nick names, and although as commander I can change their nicknames (and quite disheartening their actual names/nationalities/race but oddly not gender) I left them because it gave me a window into a non-existent sub narrative. It’s a little bit like when you were a kid and you go to bed or put your toys away and then imagine that they talk or play cards when you’re not around.

It astounds me that something so simple can add this little sub narrative, sparked by imagination and I got a little weirded out with myself when I started introducing my team to my brother to which he remarked ‘it’s like some freak is showing me his doll collection’.
So eventually I got to this point where if I character died, I had to reload it and try again instead of sacrifice the character because so much time and effort and imagination had gone into that character that it justified putting more time and effort in to keeping them alive.
It amazed me that I could care about characters that I created more than characters than that of characters in any other game that talked and had actual personalities as opposed to personalities I had imagined.

Round Up

All in all I think this game is effortlessly engaging and addictively fun. It just makes me laugh that games like Cod and Assassins Creed can try so hard to create likeable characters and then a game like Xcom can come along and do it without even trying.
I mean the game really only has a three or four different types of mission, you investigate crash sites, or save civilians or deactivate bombs, every mission is basically the same but for some strange reason it’s fun, it just has that something that keeps you playing.
I think this game is the perfect balance of fun game play/action and anal retentive grinding and crafting. To be honest I think it’s the best game to come out this year, the only fault I have with it is it could have been a little longer.

This review was read 2071 times and was rated at