Review of "Yamaha Virago XV250"

published 10/02/2001 | Loolabell
Member since : 24/12/2000
Pro Small, swish and sexy
Cons Can appear as a harley wannabe
Performance
Reliability
Handling
Customer service

"For a little bike it sure can pack a punch"

The Yamaha Virago 250 is a supreme little bike, well-matched for city life. Much as I adore superb sports bikes I have found that I am just too small to ride them, either having trouble reaching the floor when stationary or finding that my arms aren’t long enough to reach the clutch and brake levers ! Therefore, when I stumbled across this little beauty in my local bike shop showroom (Streetbike of Dudley) I discovered that it more than suited my needs as I finally didn’t look like a midget on a motorcycle !

A super lightweight frame not only enables me to keep the bike upright but ensures fantastic handling on even the tightest of corners (which is not normally easy on a low rider) and a tank of petrol seems to go on for ever. Even though it is only a small CC engine it still purrs like a dream and although it cannot zoom off down the road at 120 mph (which – let’s face it - may be fun but not practical) it accelerates easily and cruises along quite happily at reasonable speeds. The only thing to watch for if you purchase such a fine machine is the extreme amount of chrome which adorns the bike. Britain’s weather is notoriously wet and cold and there is a lot of salt on the road – so the chrome needs a quick clean almost every time you ride (when the roads are salty that is) or it falls fouls of rust spots very quickly.

The make Yamaha cries out easy maintenance, high performance bikes and this is very true of the Virago. So far (touch wood) I haven’t had a single problem with mine.
So, if like me, you are a little lass (or lad) then zoom off to your local showroom today and snap one up!

• bikaboy1987 published 28/08/2004
    Hey, im really thing about buying one of these little beauties.Your review was very helpfull, thanx bikaboy1987@hotmail.com
  • Freespirit published 10/02/2001
    My husband had a bigger Virago for a while and my feet could touch the ground on that too. But there is a lot of cleaning - that's why he changed bikes.