Yankee Candle Sands Wax Tart

Yankee Candle Sands Wax Tart

General Home Decor & Accessories - Type: Candle/Candle Holder - Candle

Review of "Yankee Candle Sands Wax Tart"

published 26/04/2012 | daisyleex
Member since : 24/05/2011
Pro Lovely refreshing, long lasting scent and very cheap!
Cons None

"Yankee Candle Pink Sands Wax Tart"

Yankee candles
I am sure that a majority of people reading my review will of bought a Yankee candle at least once due to their popularity, but for those who have never heard of Yankee candles, they are simply a range of candles with a wide variety of both basic and unusual fragrances. The candles are made y Yankee, an american company and can be purchased in a varity of forms - samplers, votives, tealights, jars and wax tarts.

Yankee candles are hugely popular due to the high quality, burn time and unusual fragrances, most of which smell extremly realistic and they also smell strongly - every single Yankee candle I have tried so far since discovering the brand around one and a half years ago has been long lasting, good quality and worth the price, which in many cases is quite expensive, however I like that the candles come in wax tart form as these are cheap as chips and I usually buy them in bulk to try out new, different fragrances.

What is a wax tart?
A wax tart is a round disc of scented wax which very vaguely resembles a pastry tart, due to the scalloped edges. The wax tarts come in a wide range of scents and each fragrance has a different colour which reflects the scent - for example the mango scented one is orange, the cherry scented one is red and so on. The tarts do not have a wick, which may confuse a lot of people at first.

To burn the tart you will need a tart burner, any will do but it is worth noting that Yankee do sell their own branded burners. You need to place the wax tart in your tart burner and then place an unscented tea light directly underneath. The wax will start melting as the burner heats up. The tarts heat up very quickly, and the fragrance soon fills up the whole room.

Price and availability
Wax tarts are all priced at a very similar price, despite the scent - although there are a few 'popular' or 'rare' fragrances that retail at a slightly more expensive price. The average retail price of a wax tart is between around 90 pence and £1.20, so wax tarts are definietly a very inexpensive way of trying out a wide range of fragrances.

Yankee tarts are widely available and can be purchased in-store from shops such as card and gift shops (eg clintons and hallmark), homewear stores and so on. They are also widely available on the internet either via the official Yankee website or from sites such as Amazon, eBay and various other online retailers.

Pink sands
This fragrance is described by Yankee as 'an exotic island escape in the beautiful mix of bright citrus, sweet florals and spicy vanilla.'

My opinion
I love Yankee Candles and get through them at a ridiculous pace! I have four dogs and cook most meals from scratch, so am very concious of any unpleasant 'wet dog' or 'old food' odours, and as a result I almost always have a candle burning - mainly in the evenings when I and my boyfriend are snuggled up watching a film or chatting. In the year and a half since I discovered Yankee candles, I have tried loads and have established what I like and what I don't.

This fragrance is one that I kept seeing in my local Clintons, but I kept avoiding it - it didn't really appeal to me at first, mainly because I was unaware of what it would actually smell like just from reading the label. After a read on the official Yankee candle website's description of it though I decided it was worth a try, and as it was priced at just 90 pence per tart, I ended up getting five in case it became a favourite of mine - if not, I planned to give them to my mum or a few friends.

The pink sands wax tart is a pleasant baby pink shade, which is a really feminine, summery pastel shade. The tart, like all of the wax tarts, came wrapped in a clear plastic wrapper and a label stating the branding and fragrance was included. This label also featured a small, basic picture of a beach with the tide coming in.

Once I had unwrapped the tart I placed it into my tart burner and placed a tealight underneath. A lot of people seem to cut their tarts into chunks, however I place mine into the burner whole. After around three-four minutes of lighting the tealight, the fresh, fruity scent became noticeable and it had soon filled the room. The scent is suprisingly foody and it's almost mouth wattering! It has a very natural fruity scent with no nasty chemical undertones.

The most prominant smell is lemon, with undertones of other citrus fruit - orange is easily distinguishable and I think that there's a faint undertone of grapefruit. The strawberry scent is noticeable but faint, and I think the smell of the grapefruit prevents the scent from been overlly sweet/sickly. The delicate floral undertone is lovely and really adds something to the scent, however I was unable to smell the vanilla.

This is a very feel-good, refreshing scent and I would say it's best for the warmer weather, as I personally prefer richer, comforting scents in the colder months. The fragrance lasts for ages. I burned my first tart for around three hours a night and even once the tealight was blown out, the fragrance would linger for a few hours. Each wax tart has an average burn time for eight hours, which I think is reasonable, considering how cheap they are. Overall, I really reccomend this tart due to the fun, refreshing, mouthwateringly fruity scent. 5/5 from me!

• Coloneljohn published 07/05/2012
    Sounds like a good one. John
  • nic63 published 26/04/2012
    Thats so strange, I bought this one today and lit it about half hour ago. You're right, its absolutely gorgeous!!! Nic xx
  • catsholiday published 26/04/2012