Yankee Candle Wax Tart

Yankee Candle Wax Tart

General Home Decor & Accessories - Type: Candle/Candle Holder - Candle

Review of "Yankee Candle Wax Tart"

published 28/07/2011 | chrisandmark_is_here
Member since : 03/07/2011
Ten year old Hollie is getting rid of a lot of her 'too young' toys (*sob*) - so I'm reviewing them thanks to the fact I CANNOT get new and still-available products added for love nor money!
Good
Pro Long lasting fragrance
Cons I personally wasn't happy with the scent

"You smelly tart!"

After being extremely impressed by Yankee Candle's range of wax tarts, I was expecting nothing more than perfection from the Bahama Breeze tart I burned today. This is going to be quite a contradictive review as although this is an excellent wax tart, I'm just not as struck on the fragrance as I have been with the previous tarts I've tried.

The tart is a lovely sea blue colour, extremely tropical in appearance just as the name would suggest. Before lighting it smells slightly of washing powder, with maybe a tiny fruity undertone and a hint of floral.

Popping it into my tart burner I'd been expecting a tropical scent, based on both the initial smell and also the name of the tart. The fragrance was released all of a sudden, around 20 minutes after the tealight had been lit. One second there was no smell at all coming from the direction of the burner - and the next second I was sitting in a cloud of, umm, Lilt. And I really, really hate Lilt.

The tart does have a tropical fragrance; there's synthetic grapefruit, unpleasant pineapple and a completely unnoticeable hint of mango. This was taken from the Yankee Candle site, I can't actually pick any of these notes out with any clarity so will have to take their word for it. I find the fragrance highly unpleasant, and am aware of Yankee Candle-lovers jaws dropping as they read - I know it's unfair as fragrances are so subjective, but I just don't like this and don't consider it to be as high quality as the other wax tarts I've tried.

The fragrance is very busy, it seems to be a really badly thought out blend of ingredients with the end result being too much of a mish-mash for me. I don't personally feel it tastes particularly summery and doesn't invoke any Caribbean fantasies, which in comparison to the other tarts I've tried already makes it a failure.

The fragrance spreads around the room nicely; it's quite a dry aroma which can be detected throughout the whole downstairs of the house to differing degrees, and occasionally (but not often) I'll get a faint waft upstairs too. This feels so strange, but although I dislike the fragrance I can recognise that the quality of the overall wax tart is as high as ever. It's not an overly strong fragrance but definitely makes itself known in the air, I found my nose took a while to get used to the fragrance so I was aware of the alien odour for a long time. This would have been great if the tarts had had a scent I actually liked, but as it was I was left quite annoyed by the constant reminder of my bad choice of tart.

Those of you who like Bahama Breeze will be pleased with both it's strength and longevity in the air. The tart's lifespan isn't quite a full eight hours, I persevered with mine as Mark and the older kids all said how much they liked the fragrance - after two three-hour burning cycles the tart had lost all of it's potency, and as soon as I attempted burning it for a third time I realised there was no point as it was blatantly all scented-out!

I personally won't buy this one again; I'm gradually learning what I do and don't like in the Yankee Candle range - and I don't like Bahama Breeze. I don't begrudge the £1.25 I paid for it, the tart provided hours of fragrance which most of them liked. My mum popped in while the tart was burning, she was only here for five minutes (having driven all the way over to give me a newspaper cutting about the death of someone she swears I know, I definitely don't) and texted when she got home to tell me the smell had really upset her asthma. I can believe it as the fragrance produced is so dry and 'powdery' as you breathe it in.

My sister knows Yankee Candle and doesn't like this one either, she likes very simple scents such as Fluffy Towels and Baby Powder - she agreed about the mash-up of fragrances within Bahama Breeze, although she actually picked out the grapefruit note whereas I couldn't. This is one of those fragrances that you've got to try for yourself; despite my lack of enthusiasm for the scent there's nothing inherently wrong with it, I'm certain this is a personal dislike rather than a problem with the fragrance so if it sounds like something you'd like then go for it.

• danielclark691 published 25/05/2017
    very good
  • Nar2 published 28/07/2011
    Pity you didnt like it - I adore it!