supersoni... 2

supersonic75

About me: Hubby was made redundant but new job and dad home from hospital after 14 wks - can finally spend more time here :)

Member since:03.01.2009

Didn't spice up my life!

14.05.2012

Advantages:
Looks inviting and has a festive scent

Disadvantages:
Too overpowering and faded too quickly

Recommendable No:

42 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. gingelou
  2. kirstysian
  3. Alyson29

**This product was already in Ciao's catalogue so I'm not responisble for the mispelling in the title though I have informed them**

Since becoming a fan of Yankee wax tarts just before Christmas of last year I've been experimenting with many different fragrances by buying on an almost weekly basis. As I have mentioned before in similar reviews I either buy from a local Hallmark factory card shop which often has different fragrances at cheaper prices as it's classed as 'old stock', or if I have any money in my paypal account I see what is available on Ebay.

Having bought a few wax tarts from the latter recently my review will now focus on this particular fragrance which was amongst my array - 'Spiced Orange'.

What Yankee say about this:
"...Feel the festive cheer this Christmas with the Yankee Candle Spiced Orange Wax Tart. Spiced Orange is a bright cheery blend of sunny citrus and snappy ginger as a perfect winter warmer teamed with the autumnal burnt orange hue.."

Having ordered this online I had no idea how it would actually smell, I didn't know whether it would be too strong or not strong enough/ spicy or lacking in spice etc so I ordered it blindly, but as it cost £1.20 with free p&p I thought it wasn't the end of the world if I wasn't keen on it's aroma.

On it's arrival through the post a few days later I was keen to test it out and I was instantly impressed by the fact I could detect a warm and fruity aroma escaping from the envelope before I'd even opened it. The wax tart itself is ensconced in a tight plastic wrapper and on the front is an image of oranges pierced with cloves and wrapped in red bows; it's a very festive scene and looks warm and welcoming so I was eager to see (or smell) what it would be like when it was burning.

On unwrapping the wax tart from the wrapper I found the scent to be rich and had strong spicy orange fragrance. It's not how I imagined it to be though as the spice seemed to over power the orange but it was still pleasant and had a real Christmassy feel. I placed this in my wax tart burner, which as mentioned before in similar reviews is mainly kept on my window sill in my kitchen as it is the most central room in my cottage, and I placed a lit tea light underneath and waited for it to melt..

After about 10 minutes or so I could start to detect quite a strong aroma though this was mainly when I walked past the entrance to my kitchen and after about 30 minutes it started to subtly float through to each room. I quite liked the scent when it was 'diluted' in the other rooms but on entering my kitchen I found the fragrance to be quite overpowering and not as pleasant and had to extinguish the tea light after less than 1 hour of burning time.

The spicy orange fragrance continued to drift through my house after the tea light had been put out and even when the wax tart started to solidify again the aroma lingered on for quite a while and I just presumed it was going to be one of those wax tarts that had to be used in small doses.
On lighting a tea light the following day I was bitterly disappointed to find that there was very little fragrance emitting from the wax tart this time as it started to melt, given the fact it had only been burned for less than an hour the previous day I would have expected the fragrance to still be quite strong.

Yankee wax tarts generally tend to have a 'life' of 8 hours when burning but I have been very disappointed with the longevity of this particular fragrance. The initial scent is very nice though soon becomes overpowering before fading away far too quickly and I can't see myself being tempted to purchase this again in the future, even at Christmas time.

This was a let down for me and such a shame as I was really looking forward to burning it as up to press I haven't really been too let down by any Yankee wax tarts but this simply isn't one I will buy again unfortunately.

Pictures of Yankee Canlde Spiced Orange Wax Tart
Yankee Canlde Spiced Orange Wax Tart Picture 111073979 tb
Spiced orange

Alyson29 19.05.2012 19:47

I love the smell of this one x

Amy69 14.05.2012 12:26

I don't think I saw this one! x

lillamarta 14.05.2012 11:46

Only one hour of scent is quite disappointing, I use an electric essential oil burner to fragrance the house as there's no flame involved that might emit toxins and the substances are natural too.