Ye Olde Oak Hot Dog Sausages

Ye Olde Oak Hot Dog Sausages

Review of "Ye Olde Oak Hot Dog Sausages"

published 18/01/2008 | frankiecesca
Member since : 01/08/2005
Good
Pro Big and fills you up!
Cons Nothing overly special compared to any other hot dogs
Smell
Product Quality

"Just another 'dog' on the shelf"

I tend to eat chilli con carne quite a lot and sometimes think I should vary my range of foods - recently I thought a good way to liven up my chilli a bit would be to have 'chilli dogs' instead. Obviously not much on the variation side but at least it has something different than my normal rice with it!!

So with this in mind I decided to go and find some hot dogs to have with it. Looking on Tesco's shelves was making it more difficult as there are so many different ones to choose from!! However after some thought and looking at the packaging of them all I decided to buy the Ye Olde Oak finest hot dogs as these looked the best in terms of size and also the fact that I could see the 'dogs' through the glass jar they were in.

Packaging:
The glass jar is about a couple of inches bigger than a normal sized tin but looks slimmer (this could be because the jar is longer though!) and has a green label on it around the middle section with the name of the brand at the top and the product name underneath that. It also states 'carefully selected' just underneath this and then has a small number 4 in a little gold circle. Down on the bottom right corner is a little note that says 'no mechanically recovered meat'.
The back of the label states ingredients and cooking instructions.
As I mentioned you can see the dogs at the top and bottom sections of the jar where the label doesn't cover and from this you can see that the dogs are not too small but are not the stupidly big dogs either.
The jar is a net weight of 540g with the brine and without the dogs are 250g in weight.

Ingredients:
Stabiliser: E331
Antioxidant E300
Preservative E250
Smoke

In the brine is salt and water.

Cooking instructions:
As with all hot dog sausages they do not take long to cook making them a quick meal on their own. The label suggests cooking the dogs in hot but not boiling water for 5 minutes and then to drain and serve.

Taste:
I don't know if I was expecting them to taste any different to any other hot dogs I've had before but unfortunately they didn't seem any different! The only main thing was that these were bigger and fatter than most so filled me up more - I still ended up managing to get 2 dogs on one roll even with my chilli on top too.
However they didn't taste bad which is a good thing too!!

Storage:
The label advises that once the jar is opened the dogs should be in the jar with the cap on and in the fridge - they should be consumed within 2 days - I have never bought a jar and not used all at once so not sure if you did eat any after opening the jar if this would effect the taste at all. Before opening they should be stored in a cool dry place.

The company who produces these hot dogs can be contacted in writing at:

Bellerive house,
Muirfield Crescent
London
E14 9SZ or you can email the at enquiries@yoo.co.uk

Their website is: www.yeoldeoak.co.uk which covers all of their products.

The product didn't really want to rush out and particularly choose this brand again over anybody else but it did fill me up so for that aspect it would be something I would buy again providing there wasn't something better that caught my eye!

I paid £1.48 for these hot dogs.

• lozzy_lou178 published 21/01/2008
    I prefer good old Walls sausages! Lol Good review, very detailed xx
  • catkinsays published 20/01/2008
    Great Review. Use to have these as a kid.Catherine x
  • salem_witch published 18/01/2008
    I haven't had a hotdog in ages but I know I'd rather a proper sausage!