monsterbe... 5

monsterbeans

Member since:26.05.2008

Yeo Valley, no bitter aftertaste.

26.05.2008

Advantages:
Organic, taste great !

Disadvantages:
Packaging not recyclable everywhere

10 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. MAFARRIMOND
  2. lisa8871
  3. belfin

I have always been a kid when it comes to yoghurts. My boyfriend loves Greek yoghurt and my parents love natural and yoghurts with bits in. Yet at the age of 20 I still like my fromage frais.

I have always eaten fromage frais in massive quantities as I stopped eating cooked food between the ages of 5 and 11 and became a fully fledged veggie when I was about 6. Fromage frais, fruit and Dairylea sandwiches was about all I ate.

Anyway, when I was about 17 I had a food epiphany, which oddly, my parents went along with. No more non-organic dairy products. Intensive dairy farming damages the cow and her calf and the farmers get a rubbish deal.

Yeo Valley were one of the only organic yoghurt companies around at that time, and they made a great range of *cough* kid's *cough* fromage frais. They were made in the West Country and guaranteed that their cows were treated wited with great animal husbandry (they are certified Organic UK5 aka the mighty Soil Association) They normally come in packs of 4 or 8 with standard flavour like strawberry, peach, apricot and raspberry. I personally hate anything like banana flavour so this was great.

The pots are HUGE! Petit Filous and others really can't compete in that market. For kids, there are cartoons and puzzles on the reverse of the cardboard sleeve.

The packaging is a cardboard sleeve, with the plastic pots (either plastic 4 or 5) being recyclable by most councils. These too have a cardboard sleeve which are easily peeled off and recycled.

As for the taste, they taste like all other fromage frais, but better. There is also the beautiful lack of bitter after taste that animals have been intensivley farmed. Seriously, these are thick and creamy and full of flavour. Yeo Valley try to keep their lists of ingredients small and you can taste it. Just fruit and the creamy flavour that only comes from the best milk.

Ah, now a question of price, and this is the prickly issue for some. Sainsbury's has them at time of writing at £1.59 for 4 100g pots. Petits Filous is £1.58 for a pack of 6 60g pots. I used to eat TWO PF for my lunch, so 120g compared to 100g is...you get the picture. I think the Yeo Valley's are a better, more satisfying portion for kids (and adults!)

People prickel at the price of organic food, but in the case of meat, eggs and dairy, you are paying for for both animal and farmer welfare. I really feel that a lot of people now buy the cheapest food so they have more money for a fancy car or more clothes, and that people have their priorities skew-whiff. I totally get it that some people really cannot stretch their budgets to be all organic dairy, but if you can maybe change one packet of standard kids yoghurts to Yeo Valley one a week/fortnight/whenever, you help make a difference to animals and farmers.

« Previous review

headcase44 26.05.2008 21:35

Very good review.....Thanks. J.

Collingwood21 26.05.2008 21:25

I haven't tried the fromage frais, but their yogurt is certainly lovely - you can really taste the difference.

SweetTooth93 26.05.2008 21:05

Not a massive fan of fromage frais but they do sound tempting. great review!! xx