Matildas_... 1

Matildas_world

Member since:30.01.2002

Yes I'd love to take your money for a shoddy car

22.02.2002

Advantages:
Good for those with low Credit rating

Disadvantages:
Watch for dodgy buys

Recommendable No:

1. davejen21
  2. garycook23
  3. howed100
and a further member

Yes car credit, more like ‘here’s a duff car credit’. I can’t express my thorough disappointment in Yes Car Credit (YCC from her on in). It would make my day for someone from YCC to read this and respond because I have had enough of trying to call them. I would strongly advise anyone to think seriously about buying a car from this company.

It all seemed so perfectly easy and such a brilliant idea for people such as my fiancée and myself. Being a little strapped for immediate cash, owning a Peugeot GTI which I hated, and trying to save diligently for our wedding this was as if someone had handed an unmissable opportunity to us. Richard, my other half, had heard of YCC on the TV and had crumbled to my gripes on the clutch problem our GTI had. I have little legs and couldn’t reach it properly, let alone push the tough pedal down.

Richard called them up and gave them all his details, as it was in his name. The first joke came when Richard relayed to me exactly what the chap who agreed to give us credit had said. The official line as I remember was ‘I’m delighted to say YES’, however in the most mundane, bored brain-dead voice he’s ever heard. I laughed for about 10 minutes after hearing his impression! We followed that call up with an appointment to see a sales rep at the branch in Luton Town Centre. I must say you really cannot miss YCC, they have an enormous green and yellow logo that in my eyes in a fluorescent eyesore! It was a Saturday in May last year. We went in about ten o’clock and didn’t leave until around four o’clock! I have never been so sick of vending machine coffee!

Firstly we had to wait which wasn’t so bad, stuff happens like that and you have to accept they’re running late. We eventually were seen to by a lovely gentleman who asked for allsorts of proof of ID, understandably so. He ran us through the terms, conditions and boring stuff first which was nice to get it over and done with then took all of our details upstairs to the underwriters.

This is the bit where I got excited, the very nice man took us in the car park where there was an enormous range of cars for such a tiny place. He showed us a Renault Clio, a Rover Metro and a P-reg Rover 214. We thought the Renault and Metro were very small for us, as Richard is over six foot tall. When we saw the Rover we fell in love with it. The engine had been steam cleaned and the car had lovely interior (as a typical woman this IS all I tend to care about I’m afraid). Richard and I felt confident that this was the car for us.

Unfortunately this was the most expensive and after much deliberation back in the office we decided it was just too expensive. I was really disappointed. I think the very nice man looked kindly on us, as he went back upstairs and rang Richards boss at work. He was asking for a reference. About 20 minutes later he returned with a reduced monthly repayment in view of the good reference Richards employer had given him! Great! We drove the car away that night, and left poor old Chloe the Peugeot as full deposit! It cost us £5000 plus a high percentage APR.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next four months were bliss with our Rover, I loved it, every minute of it! However as Richard and I have to move the driver seat forward and back constantly we must have knocked a connection in the electronics as the ‘SRS’ light came on, this is the warning to say the Airbags etc may not work on impact! We referred this to YCC who advised us as the light was on and off constantly it was most likely a loose connection as we had suspected but unfortunately there was nothing they could do, warranty doesn’t cover it ‘luv’.

A few weeks later on a hot day, we had the windows down and noticed a rattling noise from the back of the car. I found out from a mechanic that it was a bracket letting the exhaust system move about whilst the engine was on. I referred this to YCC who kindly took the car into their garage. They reported it was an ‘adjustable’ bracket which allows freedom of movement for the exhaust system. My colleague at work has the same model car and laughed when I told him, as surprisingly his doesn’t have an ‘adjustable bracket’. Richard rang YCC and complained that he was ‘fobbed’ off. He was told the manager would call him back but nobody ever did. We called in total nine times on nine separate days and each time were promised a call back from a manager which never materialised.

This winter the car broke down three times, each time it was raining. We called the AA out each time and they said it was a dodgy rotor arm (something like that, I’m not a car person), which was replaced and paid for on the roadside the first time. The next two times of breaking down all the AA man did was wipe the rotor arm dry, spray a bit of WD40 and off we go! The third time Richard asked the AA to show him so he could fix the problem in future.

To finish me off now it seems the car was in an accident before we bought it. There are two red tabs that sit on the passenger’s seatbelt socket and do not on the drivers. They are what pop out when the car impacts and the seatbelts tighten. This must why the SRS light is constantly going on and off. Rover confirmed this when I rang their Luton workshop.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am still waiting for YCC to contact me. Richard won’t stop payments on principle because it will only inevitably hurt his credit rating. We haven’t even had a chat to someone other than a desk clerk about the damage we have had.

So in conclusion, great service for people with low-credit ratings, but remember Matilda don’t have any accidents where you might need an airbag to save your life, don’t drive in the rain, and just ignore the people laughing from the pathway who can hear your ‘adjustable’ bracket rattling as you drive down the road! And they still haven’t called us back……..

SIMONSD25 03.07.2005 09:44

This company needs shutting down. Very good review.

littleelf 01.03.2005 14:18

Great review. six months from buying a car from ycc it spent 12 months in the garage then ended in the scrap yard. All ycc said was 'not our problem'

red_man 28.03.2004 17:35

HI MATILDA, what a great reveiw, when ycc ring me to find out why i didnt go to my appointment i shall refer them to your reveiw, hope you get it sorted soon, have you tried watchdog? cheers leigh