Yes Sister, No Sister - Jennifer Craig

Yes Sister, No Sister - Jennifer Craig

Review of "Yes Sister, No Sister - Jennifer Craig"

published 16/06/2011 | claireylulu
Member since : 09/06/2010
Finally back :-) Might take me a while to get back into things. I have missed writing
Pro well written, very interesting
Cons nothing
Degree of Information
How easy was it to read / get information from
How interesting was the book?
How useful was it?
Would you read it again?

"Yes sister, no sister - a joy to read"

I came across this book in my local Tesco’s store and instantly after picking it up and reading the short piece on the back I knew it was going to be a winner for me. A true story about the life of a trainee nurse in the 1950’s sounded right up my street for a book.

The book is based on the life of the author Jennifer Craig as she began life as a trainee nurse at Leeds general infirmary. The names of the people in the book have been changed to protect their privacy and it does tell you this at the beginning of the book. We begin following Jennifer on her first day of training where her first friendships are made. The girls are naive in what they have let themselves into and life as a trainee nurse in the 1950’s unravels as difficult and challenging throughout. You can instantly pick out the weak ones. All the nurses work long hours seeing to patients, feeding them handing out medications, changing bedpans, cleaning instruments and everything had to be precise.

As we move through the years of Jennifer training we get to see that the girls don’t have it easy and their lives mainly consist of the hospital but they do manage to find a small amount of time to blossom their relationships with one another and cause a little bit of mischief. One of her main friends made from the hospital is Judith who is a strong wilful person and in the first part of the book is a big feature. It is nice to see as she moves on as does Jennifer we still get to see what becomes of her.

As Jennifer finishes her training we move on with her as she eventually becomes a sister. The journey we follow with her is one of nostalgia. This book is all about a life as a nurse in the 1950’s you don’t really get to see what it is like as a patient but there is no need for that as it holds itself. We move onto life as a sister and the challenges that arise then as no longer a trainee herself can she train the new trainee’s as well as some of her teachers or will she become like the sisters she detested.

I fully enjoyed the whole of this book and there were many laughter’s and tears throughout. It does show how times have changed dramatically some for the better like smoking in the hospital others debatable. As some people will remember hospitals with Matron usually a strong character in a hospital Jennifer doesn’t refer to her like some comics have in the past. She is a firm woman and maybe at times seems a little unfair but the rules were there for a reason. As a trainee nurse the uniform plays a big part in the beginning and it was interesting to read about it and compare it to today.

I feel the book was written well and I found it very easy to read. Throughout the book were some detailed paragraphs or lists on medical procedures which I found interesting. She also writes small sections in the forms of letters to her parents or friends. Some people may class this as a little disjointed but I loved it and felt it broke it up a little.

At the end is a small section titled the ‘Afterward’ that explains a few aspects of the book. Followed by acknowledgements and a paragraph about the actual author which is interesting to read.

I would highly recommend this book as I fully enjoyed it whether you have a nursing background or not like me. It is full of our history and something we should never forget. I think I paid about £4 for my book; it is currently on Amazon for £4.49. I could easily read this book again.

This review may be posted on other sites under the same user name

• Bollinger28 published 16/06/2011
    One my aunt would no doubt enjoy as she trained as a nurse in the late 50's/early 60's
  • JAVER1967 published 16/06/2011
    Excellent review
  • rosebud2001 published 16/06/2011
    I ultimately was disappointed with this book as parts of it are patently untrue.