Review of "Yes to Cucumbers Soothing Facial Wipes"

published 23/03/2016 | ryeb
Member since : 02/06/2011
Good luck in your future projects all. Hope you all got to £5, GB quick if not and I will try and rate this eve
Pro Cleans well, compostable, does not dry out my skin, paraben free
Cons Cheaper wipes are available, packaging not easily recyclable
Length of Use
Use Many of the Products?

"Yes to Cucumbers"

Yes to Cucumbers Soothing Facial Wipes

Yes to Cucumbers Soothing Facial Wipes

I used to use face wipes if I was really tired or travelling and I wanted a quick and easy way to remove make up. But I never felt they did a really great job so when I discovered how much these disposable products add to land fill and marine pollution, I decided I could definitely give them a rest. But a friend recommended the Yes To Cucumber facial wipes to me and mentioned that they were 95% natural and made of compostable biodegradable materials. Add to that she said they worked well and were not tested on animals, and I thought they sounded my kind of product.

I paid £1.99 for a pack of 10 wipes in Holland and Barrett, but they are widely available in places such as Superdrug, Boots, Amazon, and Waitrose. The 30 pack is better value at around £3.99 but I was happy to get a travel size pack as I would not be using the wipes on a regular basis. I thought if the pack didn't fasten well, and dried out between uses, I wouldn't have wasted too many wipes. Actually the pack seals perfectly so I need not have worried.

WHY YOU WANT TO CHOOSE YES TO

Yes To are a natural inspired beauty range free of what they call harsh chemicals, and parabens, and many of their products contain organic ingredients, although my wipes don't carry any official organic scheme accreditation mark. I have used a few products from Yes To and most have been good, as well as cheaper than many other "natural" lines. You also have the satisfaction of knowing a percentage of their profits goes to their Seed Fund which contributes to providing meals for 50,000 needy children worldwide which seems a good use of funds to me.

The wipes I have are from the cucumber range and are supposed to remove make up in one swipe, as well as exfoliate and with no need to rinse afterwards. They are described as soothing and hypoallergenic.

SEALABLE PACKAGING

The wipes come in the usual plastic packaging of products like wet wipes with a peel back sticker hiding the opening to pull your wipes from. Although this plastic packaging is labelled as recyclable, I know the facilities to do so don't exist everywhere, so I think it would be good if a eco inspired company could come up with something easier to dispose of responsibly. But apart from that, the re - sealable opening isn't one of those you either struggle to open or find stops sticking closed after a while. That is really important to me as I don't use the wipes every day and they could easily dry out if not sealed in.

ARE THEY SCENTED?

Cucumber is one of my favourite scents and so I was looking forward to a refreshing aroma. The wipes don't actually smell much of cucumber to me, but they do have a lovely fresh slightly sweet aroma, which is perfect for a cleansing wipe.

ARE THEY QUICK/PLEASANT TO USE?

I like how these wipes are nice and moist so they really feel like they are doing a thorough cleaning job. I often think using a wipe is a bit of a compromise for conveniences sake so ones that feel nice to use and not sticky or overly wet are a nice surprise. They are quite thick and feel strong and good quality which given they cost a bit more than some wipes is a must. I think one is easily big enough to clean my entire face in one go which is why even my smaller pack has lasted a long time. I would be happy to take these on a weekend away because there would be plenty spare if I wanted to use some for freshening up on a warm day.

DO THEY CLEAN/REMOVE MAKE UP WELL?

The Yes To Cucumbers Wipes do a really good job of removing make up. But I don't think they do it in just one swipe. I need a few passes over each area to get rid of some foundation, but it is still a quick job overall. I mostly notice this when I use my long wear and fuller coverage foundation which are always by their nature harder to remove. Crucially I don't have to scrub at my skin to get something like eye shadow off. I prefer to use a special eye make up remover mostly but I have had no trouble using the wipes to get rid of non waterproof mascara so I would feel happy to just take the wipes if I wanted to travel light.

They feel lovely and soft so while they are supposed to be exfoliating, it is really the gentlest kind. I think they probably remove some dead skin just by their wiping action but no more than something like a flannel does. I think that is fine as it stops the wipes feeling too rough for regular use if you wanted to use them more frequently than I do.

I don't know if these live up to the "soothing" label. My skin is not sensitive usually but some wipes have proved to be a bit drying on my combination skin. These Yes To Cucumber ones are not like that and my skin doesn't feel harshly treated but I would not say it feels nourished or pampered in any way. I really just need them to clean and remove make up though.

IS THERE REALLY NO NEED TO RINSE YOUR SKIN AFTER USE?

One of the things I don't like about using wipes too often is how they can leave my skin feeling a bit coated or sticky. So even if you are technically not required to rinse your face afterwards, you feel uncomfortable if you don't. I think the Yes To wipes don't make my skin feel sticky like that but they leave my face feeling damp and so I want to at least dry my face off. You could just wait for your skin to dry by itself which doesn't take long but I get impatient and don't like to sit with evenly lightly damp skin. I know, fussy!

WOULD I RECOMMEND THESE FACIAL WIPES?

I was really pleased with how well these remove make up and clean my face. They smell nice and feel lovely and soft too. I think these are more guilt free for me as they are made of 95% natural ingredients and they are biodegradable. I do know it is suggested that conditions in the average land fill site are not always conducive to quick decomposition, but at least they will not hang around clogging up space for years. Overall I think if you wanted to be fully green you would not use any disposable products in favour of re usable ones but these wipes are probably as good as most could be. But you don't have to care about their natural credentials to enjoy using a pleasant refreshing and effective wipe, so whatever your viewpoint, I recommend these.

INGREDIENTS

Aqua, glycerin, certified organic cucumber extract, certified organic aloe extract, certified organic green tea extract, sea salt, capryl, guar hydroxypropyltimonium chloride, polyglyceryl 4 phenoxyethanol, fragrance.

Please ignore full stops between paragraphs, it is to overcome formatting issue x

• lozzywallace published 10/05/2016
    vh
  • afy9mab published 06/04/2016
    Great review, but out of Es.
  • Absinthe_Fairy published 30/03/2016