Yosemite (California)

Review of "Yosemite (California)"

published 07/07/2012 | rosaliecullen6
Member since : 29/12/2011
Also rosaliecullen on DooYoo :)
Pro Scenery
Cons None
Sightseeing
Shopping
Nightlife
Ease of getting around

"Camp Curry in Yosemite National Park"

Overview

Yosemite has to be one of my favourite national parks of all time. Lying in the Californian wilderness, the area consumed by the park is enormous. The park is beautiful with waterfalls, rock formations, lakes and plenty of walks. You might be joined by the occasional black bear or mountain lion but fortunately, particularly in high season, it tends to be quite busy so you shouldn't have too many problems.

We visited Yosemite from Monterey for a one-night trip which is about a 6 hour drive. We arrived in the park as it was getting dark and 2 hours later in the pitch black we rolled up to Curry Village to see Half-Dome glistening in the moonlight. The snow had fallen on the ground and it was like a scene out of a Christmas card.....in April.

This review focuses on camp curry which is just a small part of Yosemite.

Camp Curry

We didn't need tyre chains for the snow but it is worth having a look to see if you do, the main routes were clear it was just the village itself that was full of snow. As it was April, chances are you might need snow tyres/chains in the winter.

"Village" is probably overstating this large camping area but perhaps we didn't use all of the amenities. We only ate one meal which was breakfast in the vastly overpriced Yosemite lodge which is adjacent to Curry Village. Breakfast buffet was something horrendous like $25.

The main hiking trails to Mirror Lake and Nevada Falls begin just a few minutes outside of Curry Village and a short drive or slightly longer walk can see you at El Capitan for some climbing or sight seeing of Yosemite falls.

The tent-cabins are exactly that, really basic, think "tents" with a dressing table and a light. Not glamping, still exposed to the cold (which it was in April, I heartily recommend Vodka for keeping warm and getting an excellent sleep.. not so great the day after though...! Seriously, take something warm and a hat, my Vodka-free-friends were freezing).

The bathrooms are a short walk away from the cabins and the cabins we stayed in were on quite uneven ground so bear that in mind if you have access-needs. The bathrooms had the bear lockers right outside which was good to deter bears away from the tent-cabins, but I often wondered if Yogi and his mates would be having a feast outside the bathrooms when I popped to the loo in the middle of the night. Of course..they weren't! We didn't see any bears at all in Yosemite but we walked popular trails with lots of people.

The trek to Nevada Falls was hard work and we didn't quite make it, but the views and scenery were breathtaking, one of the nicest places I've ever visited. We saw the famous half dome in the sunshine and had lots of adventures on steep cliffs in the snow.

On the whole I thought Curry Village was great value, very basic but clean and there was no overcrowding in bathrooms, but Yosemite Lodge breakfast was pretty busy and I'm not sure I'd want to stay there. Depends how cold I am.

There was so much more to Yosemite that we didn't get to see as we were only there for one day. Definitely worth a visit and Camp Curry was fun too.

• catsholiday published 07/07/2012
    We had snow in June in Yellowstone last year too!
  • koshkha published 07/07/2012
    I have to say that the term 'Camp Curry' had given me an entirely different mental image of mincing waiters and spicy food.

Product Information : Yosemite (California)

Listed on Ciao since: 12/07/2000