Yves Rocher

Review of "Yves Rocher"

published 30/11/2007 | ameela
Member since : 16/06/2007
Pro none
Cons their no animal testing policy is extremely ambigous!
Range of products
Speed of delivery

"Are Yves Rocher really cruelty free products?"

I have shopped with Yves Rocher for quite a while and the reason I did was because I understood that they did not test on animals. I found their products so and so but decided that a company not testing on animals was worth compromising a little on quality.

However I became concerned when I only ever saw on the animal welfare websites, that either Yves Rocher was not listed as a company who DOES NOT test and others were openly stating that they DID test?!

This is what is stated on the website of Yves Rocher regarding animal testing.
"We test our products, but never on animals
We were one of the first European companies to say "no" to animal testing on finished products, favoring the use of alternative methods since 1989."

I was totally confused, what does finished product mean? What about the ingredients? Or the unfinished product? If they don't test do a third party test either the product/ingredients on their behalf? I decided to contact Yves Rocher and asked them to clarify their position. And their reply was a vague as their animal testing policies!

Dear Ameela

Thank you for your e-mail concerning Yves Rocher testing products.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide you with an immediate response to your question but I can confirm that we have forwarded your e-mail to our expert who will reply to you directly.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards.

Sarah Upton
Yves Rocher Beauty Advisor
Visit us soon on www.yves-rocher.co.uk

So I made enquires with Peta Animal Welfare Org regarding Yves Rocher and this is the reply I recieved.

Dear Ameela,
Thanks for writing in, and for your concern about shopping cruelty-free. I agree that it's confusing to shop ethically sometimes, so let me try and make sense of your questions. Yves Rocher's claim that they do not test their products on animals is pretty much meaningless, as it is not the products that are tested, but rather the ingredients that go into them, and you're absolutely right to identify that as the issue. Yves Rocher is not approved by the Humane Cosmetics Standard, which provides our list of cruelty-free companies. So there's no guarantee that they do not test their ingredients on animals, or - more likely - buy ingredients that are tested on animals from supplier companies. The fact that they don't mention ingredients in their statement suggests there's a good chance that they do exactly that.

For our list of cruelty-free companies, please visit www.gocrueltyfree.org.

I hope this has helped. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

London
SE1 1WA
02073579229
www.peta.org.uk

I noticed that other reviewers stated that they understood Yves Rocher did not test on animals, surely these policies should be clear, as caring consumers it should be the least we deserve!

Im only giving one star for the reasons stated above!

Product Information : Yves Rocher