Zovirax Cold Sore Cream

Zovirax Cold Sore Cream

For Mouth Ulcers & Cold Sores - Cream

Review of "Zovirax Cold Sore Cream"

published 25/01/2003 | christina44
Member since : 23/11/2002
It's been 2 long. Decided to update this but please don't raise hopes of me ever finding time to review rate or read. Real life too busy. With all respect who are, hopefully when I'm retired life will slow down!? Hugs! x
Pro works.
Cons you have to use it at first sign of the tingle.Expensive
Side effects
Effectiveness
Price

"DON'T touch my lips...."

DON'T TOUCH MY LIPS!!

Ok.
So this is the season for all those nasty colds and those rotten sores that you get on your lips in the winter-time-infact,my husband gets them in summer aswell!
I'm lucky-I'm the only person in my family who doesn't actually suffer from them..I should think not!(Any one who has read some of my ops will know I have a full medicine cabinet as it is!)
But,my husband seems to be forever getting them lately-and kissing isn't allowed while at the "Bursting out and look at me!" stage..aahh,I'm so cruel aren't I,but- eeewwww..! I can't stand the things spreading.

Enter;-Zovirax cold sore cream.

We have been using this product for several years.
And it truly is, a little god send.
They say small things come in "special packagings"..(err is that the other way round..?!)and Zovirax certainly is one of those.
But don't hold your breath..It is-well,hideously expensive and you only get a tiny tube.But it does last,as you only need a little at a time.
Zovirax contains "Aciclovir"a chemical good for zapping sores on lips,providing you rub it in at the first sign of tingle..

WHERE FROM AND HOW MUCH:

You can buy this from any chemist over the counter,and it's no good going to trusty ASDA's(!)'cos you won't find it!!
We use the 2g. size, which will-are you sitting down?..set you back £5.79.
But my husband swears by it,and its' got to be good-within 24 hrs it's usually gone.

PACKAGING:

Zovirax is sold in little Predominantly White,and turqouisy-blue boxes,with a slash of red in the top right hand corner,with the words;"Easy rub-in Formula"
underneath that is the word,Aciclovir written in red.
The Zovirax (pronounced:ZovIrax hyphon on the I)title is written in Turqouise-across the front,with a simple sketch of part of a clock with only one hand,hinting for you that you must apply at first feel of a tingle.
Above the clock there are two ticks; one before the words "at blister" the second before the words "or tingle."(if you can work this dogmatic approach out,then you're a flippin' genius!)

BACK OF THE BOX:

Ingrediants-which I'm not allowed to mention really,so I won't!

DIRECTIONS FOR USE:

Apply the cream liberally to completely cover the whole of the affected area.Apply 5 times a day,at roughly 4 hourly intervals for 5 days.
usually,joseph's coldsores only last about 3 days max.with this.
Wash your hands before and after treating the cold sore so as to avoid making it worse-or (heave!)giving it to someone else!
This particular 2g tube is enough for a full 5 day treatment-you can use this for up to 10 days,apparently,but it says to consult your doctor if the condition does not heal.

When you open the box be careful not to squeeze the tube,as otherwise it will squirt everywhere when you open it and waste!
(Glass wearers,Beware!You may need a telescope as the tube is so tiny..)
Something which makes me laugh-on the back of the tube states quite solemnly;"Do not use in Eyes or on Genitals."(As if! are you a sadist??!!)
The tiny white screw top lid is one of those that you need to turn upside down,and pierce the closed seal,first.
The cream is white,slightly greasy,but light,with an average,not foul smell....

DON'T LICK IT!!

OTHER HELPFUL INFO:

There is a handy leaflet inside the box which is good to keep.It states that Clinical studies show that early treatment with zovirak may stop a cold sore appearing-this is true.
Only use this on your lips and face,Not to treat mouth ulcers.If you have ever had an allergic reaction (see ingrediants) consult your pharmacist or doctor.
And this is interesting..Don't use if you are under the care of the doctor because of a weak immune system!(ie:your ability to fight infections is reduced.)

Product license holder: The wellcome Foundation Ltd.
Manufacturer:Glaxo Wellcome operations,Greenford Middlesex UB6 ONN

Some more helpful facts about cold sores.....

A cold sore is an infection which is caused by the herpes simplex virus(HSV) which is lying dormant in nerve cells supplying the lips and surrounding skin.
It is NOT the same virus that causes genital herpes...eeew!thank goodness for that!
The first infection usually occurs in childhood,probably after being kissed by a person with the infection.
The virus passes through the skin,travels up a nerve and stays in a nerve junction indefinately.

WORTH MENTIONING: what can trigger the virus?

Colds
Flu
Menstruation
Fatigue
Emotional upset
Stress
Physical injury
Bright sunlight(sunbathing in Jo's case!Well,he is itallian!!)
And simply when you are feeling "run down,out of sorts"
..Remember cold sores are very infectious and travel FAST!

AVOID:

Kissing...(Tough!)
picking (Do you mind!)
scratching (eeewww!)
sharing towels (Yuk!)
Eating and drinking utensils,and the like...(Even more yuk yuk..)

OTHER MISCELLANEOUS:
Keep your cream in a safe place where children cannot reach it.
Store at room temp.(below 25%)but do not keep in fridge.
Do not use after expiry date(Logic!)

Phew!
Have you got all that?
zzzzzzzzzz.........Zovirax!

DON'T TOUCH MY LIPS!!!!!

• Dardalius published 27/01/2003
    My lads swear by this. Good op
  • roxygirl published 26/01/2003
    Luckily, I don't suffer from these! But my boyfriend does occasionally! Yuck. -Sarah :)
  • Cowboy22 published 26/01/2003
    I'm glad that I don't suffer from cold sores and never had one either.

offers "Zovirax Cold Sore Cream"