Zumo Cafe Bar, Forton

Zumo Cafe Bar, Forton

Cafe

Review of "Zumo Cafe Bar, Forton"

published 22/04/2010 | seanbond87
Member since : 19/11/2009
Pro A UNIQUE AND MODERN EATING EXPERIENCE
Cons I don't live near enough for my liking!!
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"Is it an cafe? Is it a bar? Is it a restaurant? No, it's ZUMO"

Zumo's Crazy Golf

Zumo's Crazy Golf

ZUMO CAFÉ BAR AND RESTAURANT

Forton, Preston

Introduction

For the last twelve months or so travelling along the A6 to visit the in laws we have spotted an old restaurant being refurbished, the previous restaurant had only opened of an evening; when we saw the sign that said it was a ‘meeting place and an internet café ‘ we were intrigued but didn’t visit it. Soon we saw a Crazy Golf course being built at the back of the restaurant, and we saw a sign advertising ‘soup and sandwich £4.95 so this week my wife and I and my in laws decided to give it a try to ‘get a snack’ for lunch.

This review is the result of this visit as I think the word really does need to be spread about this incredible little place.

Exactly what is this place?

This is very difficult to explain simply!

What we found as we drove on to the roomy and free car park was an old cottage style building that had been added to and adapted to have a traditional café setting, a lovely outdoor patio area with tables and parasols and a conservatory with yet more tables in a restaurant type setting.

This business has been really well planned and thought through – all in this one building is a lovely café/restaurant that is suitable for all including families with young children, a quiet area for business meetings, a party venue and all with the best cooked food I’ve had for a long time, free Internet access, photocopying and faxing services and even a superb crazy golf course – this really is a novel idea and one that works so very well.

Let me start with the food

Our ‘little snack’ soon escalated when we saw the menu and food on offer.

The menu was very interesting and varied (you can see the main menu on this link http://www.zumocafe.com/images/stories/PDF/Zumo_Menu_240909.pdf) and on top of this there was a ‘Special’s Board’ with apart from some different meals were a selection of tapas.

It was obvious from the menu and the surroundings that this little gem of a place would be ideal foe either a romantic dinner for two, a family outing, somewhere to take mum for Sunday Lunch or even working lunches or breakfasts.

Everything on the menu (including some incredible looking cakes) is made at the restaurant and the owners try to source local ingredients as much as possible, they even use ingredients from their own garden.
Any ‘chip’ fan would LOVE their chips - they are ‘real’ chips, hand cut and freshly cut and VERY good!!
Everyday there is a home made ‘pie of the day’ served with these chips and vegetables – when we went it was chicken and mushroom, my father in law had this and he said it was delicious (picture included), it certainly looked lovely and for £6.95 was fantastic value as it was a very good sized portion.

The staff were really very pleasant and very helpful, the owner took our order and was very chatty and recommended a wine for the mum in law, our drinks were with us promptly, we knew that we had to wait for our food as it is all cooked to order, but the wait was not excessive at all and looked absolutely spot on when it did arrive.
On top of this we sat eating at a large window with a lovely view of the Lancashire hills and with lambs frolicking in the fields.

A VERY good meal and drinks (including excellent espressos) for four people cost us just over £40, which I thought was excellent value.

Business meetings

The Zumo Café Bar and Restaurant is situated just off the M6 motorway, just a 5 minute drive and close to Lancaster University.
I can imagine it would be an ideal meeting location for anyone from Preston or Lancaster.
The owners have created a very professional environment, there are quiet rooms available and a purpose built board room with board table for both formal and informal business meetings; there is free internet access and photocopying and faxing facilities.
The larger conferencing facility can accommodate up to approximately 25 delegates and the smaller quiet meeting area can be arranged, there is wheelchair facilities...
Knowing how difficult (and expensive) parking is in both Lancaster and Preston, the free car parking is also an advantage. The great food and drink on offer is also a BIG advantage.
The owners will even plan everything for you if you give them a list of your requirements, to do this you can call them on 01524 792526 or email us them at - karrie@zumocafe.co

Children’s Parties

If you have a child who is past the ‘soft play’ type party or you are tired of the McDonald’s type venue, Zumo offer a great alternative.
Here your child and their party guests will get an 18 hole, round of crazy golf/mini golf for each child/person on the guest list (bats, balls, scorecards and pencils provided!), a drink, a meal and an ice cream.
I think that this is a superb idea for the slightly older child – and even mum and dad can join in!!

Private Party Functions

The lovely Zumo café bar restaurant will make a great place for a special private party.
The manager, Karrie, will help plan everything and make sure that everything runs smoothly, they can cater for up to 80 standing guests at a buffet style party and up to 60 guests at a seated dinner. They will also arrange entertainment, DJ’s etc.; I think that it would be a perfect spot for a smaller wedding.
Crazy Golf

How unique is this, a high class café/restaurant/bar with its very own superb full 18 hole Crazy Golf course!!
This is the only Crazy Golf course in Lancaster and it really is a good one,
It is themed on the local area – you’ll play on Cockerham Sands, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Garstang, Trough of Bowland, Beacon Fell, Brock Bottom, Nicky Nook, Parlick Pike and White Scar Caves.
It is all inside a secure fenced area with plenty of seating near to the entrance.
The price is £3 for children under 12, £4 adults and teenagers; a family ticket is for 2 adults and 2 children or teenagers for £12.
It is open from March to November (weather permitting) 10.00 to 5.00.

How do you find it?

Zumo is at Forton, south of Lancaster and north of Preston and very close to Garstang on the A6.

If you are travelling from the north it is on the left exactly two miles south of Junction 33 of the M6 and on the A6.

If travelling from the south, stay on the A6 past Garstang, go through Cabus and it is 1 mile further along the A6 on your right.
If you happen to be travelling on the M^ to or from Scotland I would really recommend that you take a detour to visit Zumo rather than put up with the mediocre motorway services, it is only 2 miles from the motorway and very easily found.

Contact Details

Telephone 01524 792526 or fax 01524 793819

Or email karrie@zumocafe.com
Website: http://zumocafe.com

Finally

I do hope that you try Zumo because I’m sure that you’ll love it as much as we did.
My in laws are so lucky to have this place right on their doorstep, I think we’ll be visiting them more often!!!!

• babycougar published 25/04/2010
    Very nice review and pictures.
  • tartlette83 published 22/04/2010
    I love the idea of the crazy golf!
  • ALM1 published 22/04/2010
    What an interesting place! Thanks for the review.