Zushi, Banbury

Zushi, Banbury

Japanese/Sushi Restaurant - Address: Parson's St, Banbury OX16 5LW

Review of "Zushi, Banbury"

published 07/09/2017 | CGholy
Member since : 17/06/2010
20,000 points till I'm bronze!
Pro Good choices availible

Number: 01295 278890
Email: hello@zushibanbury.com
Site: http://www.zushibanbury.com/
About The Resturant

Zushi has been around for about two years now and was very popular when it first opened. It's the first Japanese restaurant in Banbury and remains the only Japanese restaurant in Banbury. It's still pretty popular now, especially at the weekend and lunch times. It's open for lunch from 12 PM till 3 PM, then reopens for evening services from 5:30 PM till 10 PM. On Saturday and Friday, they're open for an extra hour and they're closed on Mondays, most likely because most sushi restaurants in Japan close on Monday. They're heavily praised for their sushi dishes, which I can strongly agree with.

The restaurant is extremely busy during the evenings and weekends. It's best to book in advance if you've got a big group. It's had a lot of reviews online, with the majority of them being overwhelmingly positive.

Why I Chose To Go

Before the place opened, I had to venture out to the cities if I wanted to dine at a Japanese Resturant. I know they have sushi in the supermarkets, but it's not the same experience. Sushi is one of my favourite dishes and I'm also fond of Katsu Curry and ramen. I consider myself to be a regular customer of the restaurant. I go there at least twice a month. The last few times I visited was last week with a friend from work and yesterday with my family.

I love Japanese food, and since this is the only Japanese Resturant in Banbury and is a reasonable walking distance from my house, I can go there quite often. It's one of my favourite restaurants, but it's not the cheapest. If I have the money, I'll go there as often as I can.
Menu

The menu is quite varied in my opinion. They have some good range of Japanese street food and snacks as the appetisers such as the Takoyaki (Octopus balls), Gyozas (dumplings shaped like little cornish pasties), Yakitori (skewers) and miso soup. For mains, they have a wide range of salads, sushi dishes, rice and noodle dishes and the popular katsu curry dishes.

There are seven choices for the bento box at lunch time. They've got a lot of vegetarian choices and meals suitable for vegans as well. I think the menu gives a really good clear and precise explanation of all the dishes and I also like how the dishes have a number so you can say the number if you don't know how to pronounce it.

They do a pudding menu. Before it was just ice cream of three flavours: green tea, red bean and sesame seed. Which I think are all quite yummy. They've expanded the menu quite a bit now, but still a bit small. But considering a lot of restaurants in Japan don't do a lot of desserts that much, I can understand this.

If you're new to sushi and Japanese food in general, then I would recommend the Chicken Katsu Curry. If raw fish makes your skin crawl, you can try the vegan rolls or the chicken sushi. If you're a seafood lover, you'll find lots of things on here that you would like.

Prices

I've heard a lot of people say that they love this place, but they think it's expensive. I actually don't think the prices are that bad compared to other Japanese restaurants that I've visited. If you're on a budget, you can take advantage of the bento box specials which is £8.50, but also comes with miso soup. Miso soup as a starter is £3.50. I've tried all the bento dishes on the lunch menu and my favourite is the Teriyaki Salmon.

Bottled beers are £3.50 and soft drinks fall between the range of £2.20 and £2.70. I've not tried the sake yet, but you can have it hot or cold for £7.60. It's most likely expensive because of import charges. I tend to stick to green tea when I'm here as it's only £1.50 and it's free refills.
Service

I've been to this place many times and I've yet to have bad service here. The staff always seem to be happy and cheerful. They're also very attentive and offer drinks very often. Including water and green tea refills.

By default, they have chopsticks on the table, but you can ask for a knife, fork and spoon if you need to. I promise you, they won't laugh at you if you struggle with your chopsticks.

I've found the food always come quite quickly. I've used their take away service before, and I've found that the food comes quickly and very well packaged.They do deliver, but I've not had any experience with deliveries yet. They're not listed on JustEat.com, so you would have to ring for a delivery.
Facilities

They have toilets upstairs. This could be a problem if you're in a wheelchair or can't cope with stairs very well. The nearest disabled facilities from this restaurant are located in Castle Quay shopping centre, which is just straight down the road.

Next door to Zushi is the QuickSilver amusement centre. And there's also a handful of pubs nearby and several shops. So Parson's Street is always pretty busy as it's pretty much in the centre of time.

Conclusion

Zushi is really nice place to eat if you're in Banbury. It's not cheap, but I don't think it's that pricey either. I'd have no problems recommending it to anybody. It's got a really nice atompshere.

• 1st2thebar published 12/09/2017