Discobunn... 5

Discobunny

Member since:18.01.2001

Amble and strut your funky stuff!

23.06.2003

Advantages:
Incredibly affordable way to look a million dollars .  .  .

Disadvantages:
Restricting yourself to just one !

4 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Connoisseur_Haggler1
  2. roons_y
  3. bwanamdevu

If you're anything like me, an invitation to a party or ball is a wonderful excuse to go out and spend money you don't have on getting seriously glammed up! That said, imagine my excitement when I was invited to my boyfriend's brother's wedding - a wedding!! The ultimate in dressing up occasions! Oh, and an important and serious public declaration of love and commitment of course...And so, I was flung into the exciting and unexplored world of expensive and fabulous accessories - hats!

Unfortunately, really beautiful hats are really only found well over the £100 mark, and much as I believe in the power of Mastercard, my sensible financial fairy was whispering sweet warnings in my ear about spending such a lot on something which I was only going to be wearing for a matter of hours. However, as I wandered round House of Fraser with that realisation nagging in my head, I came across a display of smaller feathery concoctions on bands and clips - pretty little pieces that wafted and fluttered daintily and I pounced! Surely these little bundles of fluff and perfection were just a fraction of the price? Sadly, the answer was no. Starting at around £40 and going upwards beyond £100, these were just as unobtainable as their grown-up cousins, the hats, and the subject of the my hair decoration was left unresolved.

I was slightly saddened that my search for suitably wedding-esque headwear had come to such an abrupt end. But then I was saved by technology - a forwarded email, containing a link to a company that was to make my wedding headpiece dreams come true! That company was www.ambleandstrut.com.

They promised me 'flirtatious, vibrant feather and flower headpieces' and even more excitingly, 'prices for ready-to-wear from £1 - £49, commissions priced individually'. £1 - £49! I couldn't believe my luck, and as I browsed the site, I was not disappointed - and even my sensible financial fairy was cooing approvingly in my ear! A huge selection of colours and styles at very reasonable prices mainly ranging from £20-£40 awaited me, and the additional note that 'pieces can also be ordered by post' was the winning ticket. I chose a style or two that particularly appealed to my eye and my wallet - and emailed the award-winning designer, Emily Robertson, to discuss the possibility of making me a piece which matched the rest of my outfit, and getting it to me in the remaining two weeks I had before the wedding. Emily was very helpful and quick to get back to me, and completely unfazed by my babbled, excitable emails. P&P was a small extra charge, and despite the time restrictions I placed on her, she agreed to help me and I posted cheque, colour swatches and scribbles to her pronto.

Within days, and with a week to spare, I was in possession of my very own pale lilac 'Glitter Twist' mounted on a clear comb, as chosen by me. I can't tell you how delighted I was! It added the perfect finishing touch and sense of occasion to my outfit and I wore it all day and all night - even through a moving karaoke rendition of 'Evry Time We Say Goodbye' at about 1am!

Amble & Strut offers the perfect solution to anyone longing for a miniature feather masterpiece in their hair for a special occasion but without the budget to meet department store or boutique prices. I don't know how long Emily's prices will stay low as word spreads, but I have a feeling she'll always offer a range of affordable options. Being able to choose the colour and style of the piece, along with how it is mounted means that there's definitely something for everyone and the website is an informative portal into everything that Amble & Strut have to offer. (Fantastic name too!)

Discobunny 23.06.2003 15:13

They are mad accessories - VERY sea anenome-esque! Definitely a talking-point. In answer to the postage Q, it was only about £2-3 as the piece was so light and came well-wrapped in a big box full of tissue paper! Lovely.... :)

Connoisseur_Haggler1 23.06.2003 14:31

I had never heard of this place -Sounds like a wonderful site! When you say P&P charge is small, any idea how much? If I have a special occasion to go to will bear this in mind and alow ample time too, thanks.

roons_y 23.06.2003 14:12

If only a custom made sea anemone was as easy to come by. Such a great op tho.