xKatieeex 4

xKatieeex

About me: I've had a crazy 2012 (I might write a review on it!) so I've not had time to spend on here, hopefully I'll find some in 2013!

Member since:13.01.2009

I almost bought £32 worth of cheese in the name of Ciao!

08.09.2009

Advantages:
Wide range of cheap products, easy to use, delivery prices not too bad, excellent customer service

Disadvantages:
Search engine not great, don't always deliver on time

22 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. francesca.sd
  2. amyloop
  1. lustba
  2. potoroo99
  3. torriglen

I've been using Asda online shopping for well over a year now as I don't have a car and the nearest supermarket to me is amazingly over-priced and doesn't have much choice. I've also tried Tesco's online shopping after receiving money off vouchers with them, but I've found Asda to be much better.

The Website

This website has recently been updated and I feel it's easier to use than the old one.

The website is mainly green & white with bursts of red every now and then indicating special offers. There is a white bar at the top of the page when you first go on that has 'Your Favourites', 'Your Account' and 'Your Shopping Lists'.

Your Favourites
This is basically a list of previously bought items, they are arranged into shelves making it easy to find particular products. You can also select what department or what order you would like to see products from using two drop down menus.

I don't really think this is a useful facilty. I find it easier to look for a product I want normally rather than going through all this. But if you buy a lot of the same products, I suppose this could be useful.Your Account
There are 10 options to choose from in the 'Your Account' section;
  • Your orders
    To take a look at previous orders.
  • Your address book
    A list of all your delivery addresses.
  • Browsing your way
    The option to choose what you would like to see first when browsing such as organic or gluten-free.
  • Your shopping lists
    This is where you can make shopping lists making it quicker and easier to shop.
  • Your promotions/eVouchers
    This is where you can add eVouchers to your account for future use
  • Your personal details
    Change details such as name, address and contact information.
  • Your shopping substitutions
    Choose whether to have unavailable products substituted.
  • Change your password
    Self-explanatory...
  • Your favourites
    Edit 'Your Favourites'.

The 'Your Account' section is great, it's got everything you'd ever want. I especially enjoy the 'Browsing your way' section as this stops you have to trawl through loads of rubbish you don't want.Your Shopping Lists
In this section you can create, edit or delete shopping lists. These are lists of products that you buy regularly making it quick and easy to get through doing your weekly shop.

Also on the white bar is 'Groceries Home', 'Asda.com Home', 'Help', 'Recipes' and 'Sign Out'. These are all pretty self-explanatory.

There is also the search facility on the white bar, which we'll come to later.There is then a green bar with the various 'shelves' of the supermarket. These are;
  • Fresh Fruit & Veg
  • Frozen
  • Baby & Toddler
  • Household & Pets
  • Home & Leisure

Also on the green bar, is the 'Special Offers' section which is a list of all the products with special offers on them.On the right-hand side of the screen is your 'Shopping Trolley', this gives you information on your delivery slot, all the products in your trolley, the price and how much money you've got coming off from special offers.

In the centre of the screen is where you'll find all your products.

I quite like the layout of the website. It's easy to use and well-organised.

Getting Started

To register, you enter your postcode. It will then tell you whether the deliver to that area and gives you the option to 'Register Now'. You are then taken to a form to fill in which asks you your name, address, contact details, sign in details (like your password) and how you found out about the Asda.com online shopping website. It also asks you the usual 'would you like to hear about our special offers'.

You will then be sent an e-mail with your details and voila!

You just use your e-mail address and password to sign into the site in future.

It's a pretty regular and straight-forward process to register, it's relatively easy and takes no time at all.

Start Shopping

Once you've signed in with your e-mail address and password, it's time to start shopping. I would recommend booking your delivery slot before you start shopping incase after you've spent an hour doing your shopping you find that there's no available slot that suits you.

To book a delivery slot, you go to your 'Shopping Trolley' on the right and click the big green 'Book' button next to the picture of the Asda home delivery van. Your are then taken to a table of times that are available to deliver. These are all 2 hours slots in which your shopping will be delivered. If a time is unavailable, you will be unable to click on that slot and it will say 'full'. If a van is going to be in your area at certain times, the table displays a van next to the time to give you the opportunit to reduce carbon emissions. Also on this table are the prices of delivery.

You can get your shopping delivered from 10am to 10pm, Monday to Saturday and from 1pm til 10pm on a Sunday. The prices vary from £3.50 to £5.50 with Tuesdays and Wednesdays generally being cheaper. Although, recently, they had an offer on where they delivered your shopping for £2.50 anytime, anyday. So, hopefully they'll do that more often.

After you've clicked on the delivery slot you want, the price will change to 'available'. You then click 'Book Slot' at the bottom right of the table to continue and that's you. You have 3 hours from the time you booked the slot to do your shopping. If that isn't enough, just save your shopping so far and you can always return to it.

It's easy to find products you want, just use the tabs at the top of the page to get the right department then a list of sub-departments will come up and you just choose a section from there. Special offers come up first, which is useful. To add a product to your 'Shopping Trolley', you just click 'Add' below the picture of the product. You can easily change the quantity you want by typing in the number into the white box, then clicking add. You can also change the quantity in your 'Shopping Trolley' by clicking on the little '+' and '-' symbols. There is also the option to delete products from your 'Shopping Trolley' by clicking the little bin symbol.

The minimum order spend is £25, so you can't check out until after then.

To check out, you just click on the green 'Check Out' button above the products in your 'Shopping Trolley'. It then takes you to a page saying 'Have you forgotton something?' and offers a list of items you've previously bought. You can either add products, continue shopping or continue to the checkout. To carry on checking out, just press the 'Continue to checkout' button which will take you to the payment screen. There, you enter your credit or debit card details with option of saving them for the next time you use Asda online. You are then taken to a summary of your order and asked to confirm your details by entering your security number on your card and your Asda.co.uk password. On the summary page, you can also tell Asda what products you would and wouldn't like subtitutions for by checking or unchecking the box next to the item. You are then given a confirmation and your order number.

Can I just say, I almost bought 19 blocks of cheese at £32 trying to get all the details right in the review. If you've entered & saved your card details previously, it goes straight from checkout page to the summary page.

You can change your order up to 10pm on the day before it's due to get delivered, which is quite useful for me as I always forget stuff and need to add it later on.

Delivery

The delivery is generally OK. They come along in the Asda van, chap on the door, give you the invoice then get your messages for you and give you something to sign. I've been told that they deliver straight to your fridge door, but this has never happened to me. They just leave it in my porch for me to carry through to my kitchen, which I'm not too fussed about.

My shopping is rarely delivered on time and if it is, it's usually towards the end of the 2 hour delivery slot. If they are going to be late, I usually get a phonecall from the delivery guy telling me he is going to be later. But this is usually at about 12.15, when it was to be delivered between 10 and 12.

Your shopping is delivered in a number of bags, all split into different categories such as 'chilled', 'beauty', etc which I dislike as it's a bag waste of bags. When I'm at the shops, I just bunk all my shopping into a bag no matter what type of food they are. I don't really understand why they do that.

The invoice they give you is just a list of all the products you've received, whether any didn't come and if any have been substituted. It also has all the information you'd need if you have a problem with the order.

If you have a problem with your order...

You call customer services (08448733333) costing you at least 5p a minute, which isn't bad but it'd be nice if it was free.

I've had to call customer services 3 times. The first time was because they had given me out of date Philadelphia, the second time was due to out of date butter and third time was this morning when I didn't receive 6 of the products I ordered.

Every single time I've phoned up, they've always been very helpful and always apologise for whatever has happened. Each time, they just reimbursed the cost of the products I hadn't received or had been out of date. Which is great, but I can't help but feel that there will be some people out there that will just pretend they didn't receive a product to get some money. Also, I would've rathered they just delivered the products they hadn't given me as it was quite a lot of stuff I didn't get and now I'll have to lug it round from my crappy supermarket round the corner. But I'm just being moany I think, lol.

What I like about Asda.co.uk

There are many things I like about Asda.co.uk such as the fact they have pictures of their products, whereas I've found Tesco are lacking in this area. I find it really difficult to shop without pictures.

I like that if they do have to substitute an item in your shopping, they won't make you pay extra if it costs more. Although, they don't give you back the money if it costs less!

There is also a new facility on the website to 'Ask Amy'. This is a kind of instant messaging help facility making it easier for you to use the website. I really, really like the idea of this, but sadly I've not been able to use it as I have a really rubbish computer and it doesn't work with it.

What I don't like about Asda.co.uk

I wish they stuck to their delivery times, although they're never incredibly late, it's still frustrating have to wait on them. Also, I tend to start work at 12 most of the time and the earliest slot they have is 10-12 and because they're usually late, I tend to have to pick a later slot which is difficult as I finish at 9pm.

The search engine facility isn't very good. It's useable, but if you want a lemon for example, you have to type in 'lemons' and not 'lemon' or it won't come up. It only searches for exact matches which isn't useful if you can't remember the name of something.

One last thing, when I began using Asda.co.uk, they tended to not give me a lot of the items I'd asked for. It was silly things like 'mushrooms' and whatnot, but I don't understand how you can't have mushrooms. That seems to have stopped now, so maybe it was just a terrible employee of Asda.

Overall

It's an excellent site and I don't think I'd use any other home delivery website unless I had vouchers for it. It does have little issues it needs to sort out, but nothing too big that would totally put me off it.

I think the prices of the products and delivery at good, although I don't think I'd ever pay £5.50 to get my shopping delivered. The customer service is excellent, they're always happy to help if you have a problem and will sort it out in no time. There is an excellent range of products, all of which are easy to find and if you can't find something, you can suggest a product for them to put on their website.

I'd definitely recommend this to everyone.

torriglen 14.09.2009 11:05

Ive never shopped on line so this review has made useful reading thanks.

francesca.sd 12.09.2009 23:25

I don't know why you haven't got more E's on this review! Exceptional, very detailed. Fran :-)

lora44 09.09.2009 16:59

Never used Asda home delivery before but I've heard good things about it. Great review x