cornishch... 4

cornishchic

About me: this year is flying :(

Member since:27.07.2011

Measure this

11.04.2012

Advantages:
Cheap

Disadvantages:
Markings aren't clear, turned orange

31 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. derek-j-a
  2. Coloneljohn
  3. happysh2009

Although I love my Pyrex jug, just having that one jug in the kitchen isnít practical. Iím a little water efficient when it comes to washing up (more like lazy but we wont go there) and I only wash up once a day. As there is only me and my daughter we donít go through a lot of dishes anyway. This can sometimes mean if Iíve used a jug earlier in the day, then need to use a jug at tea time, Iíd be without. When I was in Asda I spotted these Smartprice jugs for only 35 pence, perfect for a secondary jug.

The measuring jug is from Asdaís Smartprice range so it is quite basic, but it does the job, who cares! It is made from a clear plastic, I wouldnít say itís very thin, but it isnít the thickest it could be either, the handle can carry the jug well, even if it is full. It also has a spout for easy pouring.

The measurements can be found on both sides of the jug, it has all the measurements you might need, pints, fluid ounces and millilitres. The only problem with the measurements is that they arenít printed on to the jug in any kind of different colour, they are just raised plastic numbers. This makes it very difficult to see how much liquid is in there, especially if the liquid is clear.

Iíve used our jug for multiple different uses, the main use is heating things up in the microwave, this includes tomato based foods, including pasta sauces and baked beans. After using the jug for these food types a couple of times, it did start to stain the jug a lovely shade of orange. Despite scrubbing the jug, the orange will not disappear, but itís no harm, it just makes looking for the measurements a little harder.

The handle of the jug is handy, as it means you donít have to carry the jug by the body. It also comes in handy when stirring things, such as gravy as without holding on to the handle, as the plastic is quite light, it would go flying everywhere.

Despite being used in the microwave and with boiling hot liquids inside, the plastic measuring jug hasnít been deformed in any way, and is still the same round shape as when I first bought it.

For only 35 pence, this Asda Smartprice measuring jug is a bargain. Although it can be difficult to see the different measurement markings if you are measuring clear liquids, it heats up food well, and would be as good as new if it hadnít been stained a lovely shade of orange.

Drewster-Rooster 11.04.2012 14:59

I've got the same one and yep, mine's stained too lol :)

xxfoxyredxx 11.04.2012 14:22

Argh I had one of these till I lost me temper and upgraded I couldnt read the measurement markings on it at all and yup mine had stained too! lol x

j9j8j7 11.04.2012 13:06

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a Pyrex snob- I'd get another one if I had a bit more space in the kitchen.