Review of "auctions.yahoo.com"

published 15/08/2001 | gemini26
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro great bargains, many catergories, free to use
Cons can become addicted

"bargain hunters paradise"

Oh no, not another place for me to find bargains! I am a self confessed bargain hunter. I can't remember now why I first went to yahoo but since then I am constantly there searching the thousands of items for a bargain.

Yahoo auctions is part of yahoo.com and can be accessed through their home page or if you have y messenger you can go to the auctions through this.
If you are already registered with yahoo then to use the auctions to buy you just need your id and password. If you wish to sell you need to register a credit or debit card, this is only for security reasons and there is no actual charge for using this site. If not registered it is a easy and simple process which needs the minimal amount of information.

Yahoo auctions include many, many sections including:

-music and tv
-toys and plush
-memrobellia
-fashion
-watches and jewellery
-books
-entertainment

And just about anything else you can think of.

In each section people have items up for sale with a start price. For an example I will use a record,

You spot a record for 50p and wish to place a bid, you do so and get email confirming your bid. The auction is only open for another ten minutes. In ten minutes you get another email confirming you have won the record. The next day the seller gets in contact with you via email and says that he would like payment of £1.50, this includes post and packaging and he would like postal order or cheque. You send payment and in a few days the record arrives to your home.

If you had bid on this record and then been outbid by another buyer you would also get email notification and also the chance to re-bid. With item you win/sell there is a chance to rate seller/buyer. There are three choices with this, good, bad or neutral. You also have the chance to leave a comment eg: excellant seller, reccommended or bad buyer, never sent payment.
These ratings are logged against each persons name and gives them a rating. If you had three good and one bad that would give you a rating of two.

I have had many bargains from this site including vinyl, football programmes and of recent beanies. It is definately worth checking out as you never know what you might find!

• SoDef published 09/02/2002
    Good review
  • heinzmanm published 23/01/2002
    Nice review. I love Yahoo Auctions and I've bought and sold a whole host of items in recent years.
  • whitbybunny published 13/09/2001
    Good op, as you'll see from my opinion on amazon's auctions, I've only ventured that far as yet. Don't know if I trust myself to go any further! All the best, Julie