auctions.yahoo.com

Auctions

Review of "auctions.yahoo.com"

published 31/03/2002 | utero
Member since : 11/07/2000
Giving opinions for several years and showing like a fine vintage
Pro It's Free, Easy To Use
Cons Not a big user base

"Under The Hammer"

One of the things the internet has taught me is that one man's crap is another man's treasure. That's where online auctions have come into play, when I think of all the stuff I've sold over the years I'm also inclined to think of how much more money I could have got by selling it via an auction site.

The dominant force in online auctions is undoubtedly Ebay, their user base is by far the biggest which means that you have far more chance of selling your items at a price you'd like. But of course Ebay do charge you for the service and that's all well and good if you know that you're going to sell your item. Thank's to my Dooyoo opinion in Ebay I was actually switched on to yahoo auctions by another user. This is an auction site with some advantages and disadvantages.

The primary thing in Yahoo's favour is that they don't charge you for the service they provide. Your listing is free, there are no selling fees and you literally do take the lot. This gives you the ideal opportunity to list all the stuff you want rid of but don't want to makes losses on in the process.

The procedure for listing items is easy, you set up an account and then just pick which section you'd like to make a listing in. You set what price you'd like to start bids at, how long to keep the auction open for and you even can offer a price at which you'd sell straight away. All these features are ones that you get at Ebay but without anything to pay. I also find that with yahoo the option to cancel or close an auction is a lot more easier thanks to their simple account management system which takes the hassle out of constantly logging in and then hunting around for the desired link. You even have the option of adding up to three pictures for your auction listing, Ebay lets you have one then charges you for adding extra.

No auction site would also be complete without the all important feedback. This allows you to seperate the good guys from the bad. You see these auction sites are goldmines for the bootleggers who seem intent on passing off goods as official releases. Yahoo seem to be on top of closing auctions like this but of course some will always slip through. After all no one would be stupid enough to think that the latest Hollywood movie would be on DVD days after cinematic release would they?

The feedback system works on the same principle as Ebay but doesn't have it's own devoted section under account management. This can makes things a bit more painstaking when you are looking to leave feedback but it's a minor quibble when you're not actually paying for the service.

But of course there is a downside to Yahoo auctions and that is it's userbase. The site seems more of a dumping ground for things than Ebay which means the userbase aren't as crazy when in comes to bidding. In my experience I've had no wild bidding on my items likes I've experienced on Ebay. Users seem a lot more reserved in actually buying stuff, this maybe due to the fact that browsing for listings on the site isn't as logical. You're not as likely to see something that takes your eye on the off chance while browsing here. You're more likely to visit looking for something in particular. That's where the search engine comes in and very effective it is too. You can normally find what you what within a matter of clicks.

My advice to you on selling things through Yahoo is to really decide how much you want to ge for the item before you list. Don't start low in the hope that a bidding war will eventually puch the price up to your expectations. Chances are that's unlikely to happen and you'll be left out of pocket.

What I will say however is that although it has a smaller userbase you're more likely to have a hassle free transaction on your hands, the timewasters don't seem as widespread. Although I will say that some of them don't mince their words if they think you've sold them a lemon. Just today I has someone nearly screaming blue murder that I'd mis-sold them, obviously I hadn't but it's just the genral attitude. But then again that's just the stance you have to take sometimes in order to get results.

• Cowboy22 published 31/03/2002
    A great op. I have only ever used ebay.
  • Bigbaz published 31/03/2002
    Unfortunatly the feed back on users dosn't protect you against first time users as I found out to my cost ..Baz
  • kazziebears published 31/03/2002
    Oh great op!! I am off to have a look there when I have done here!! Kaz x