bookpeople.co.uk

bookpeople.co.uk

Review of "bookpeople.co.uk"

published 29/06/2007 | gr1malk1n
Member since : 08/10/2006
Pro An interesting range of books offered, with no strings attached.
Cons (Unless you're a parent) Too many childrens' books.
Variety on offer
Catalogue
Purchase obligations

"A very good source of cheap books."

I can't remember how I first got introduced to The Book People, but for two or three years now I've looked forward to seeing their catalogue in the post every couple of months.
The Book People don't call themselves a 'book club' as they don't ask people to join up, they don't have any minimum purchase requirements and they will never send you unsolicited book choices, as some clubs do.
Books for children and young people are always at the front of their slim catalogue, and indeed fill about 60% of the pages. I don't have any children to buy for, so these pages are of peripheral interest to me; I do note, however, that they seem to contain a balanced mixture of educational books, e.g. history, and childrens' fiction.
The adult books are a mixture too. About half of them are "how to" books: cookery, diets, gardening, hobbies... I've bought a couple of cookery books from them by popular authors. The other books are mainly fiction, including crime, thrillers, romances and some classics.
The prices are remarkably low, especially for sets. I recently bought ten paperbacks by Ruth Rendell for £8. There is usually one such set of eight or ten books by a popular author in each catalogue. I don't think that any of their books cost more than half the shop price and most of them are at less than half price. Post & packing adds £2.95, which seems a lot if added to a single low-priced book, but not so bad for a set (but there is a concessionary rate for pensioners, disabled etc. which is only £1.95) The packaging is very good at any price (perhaps more substantial than is eco-friendly) but I have never had a book damaged in transit.
Every time you buy you gain points (one per pound spent) which are added up to give you a free book with a future order. There is a slight snag on this, in that a purchase of (say) £3.99 only counts as 3 points, not 4, (but it is a gift-horse)!
Periodic sale prices offer even greater bargains. I couldn't resist a set of eight cookery books, including Elizabeth David, Nigel Slater and Rick Stein, for £5. They are of uniform size, shrink wrapped and look so attractive that I am saving them till I need to give a small present - wedding, engagement or the like - or until I just have to open them myself.