cvservices.co.uk

cvservices.co.uk

Review of "cvservices.co.uk"

published 11/11/2005 | LucyKite
Member since : 06/11/2005
Pro they made a couple of format suggestions for free
Cons they refused the £29.99 CV review, pushing for the full £99.99 service
Speed of website
Database & Search Facilities
Layout & Design
Navigation
Frequency of content update

"I'm not impressed"

I tried cvservices.co.uk after reading the excellent reviews at ciao, and I admit I was very disappointed.

After applying for dozens of jobs and getting no interviews, it was obvious that there was something very wrong with my CV and I needed professional help. I contacted CVservices last spring and ordered a CV review for £29.99. I filled in their form, gave my card details and emailed them my CV.

They replied in 1-2 days, but their answer was not at all what I had expected. Their consultant told me that they couldn't work on my MS Word document, because the default fonts (arial) was not what they use and it would take them too long to make the changes they wanted. Instead, they suggested that I order their full £99.99 service, and they would rewrite my CV from the beginning.

However, they did change the format of a couple of lines in my existing CV, just to show me what they had in mind, and didn't charge me for it. The changes were the highlighting of the headlines and the change of the bullets' type - nothing that involved the wording or general image of my CV.

Since the £29.99 fee for the CV review was already too expensive for me (I was unemployed, after all!), I had no intention to dish out £100. So I took the time to transfer the contents of my CV to a new document in completely unformatted text, to make it easier for them to work on. I sent the new document back, explaining what I had done, and again asked for the £29.99 review.
The reply that I got back was an almost rude email stating that they couldn't help me unless I ordered the full £99.99 service.

I must admit I was taken aback both by the tone of their reply and by their unprofessional behaviour. I don't see why they would advertise the CV review service if they don't want to offer it. And their excuse was ridiculous: Ok, so they don't like to work with arial fonts - they don't like unformatted text either?

If the older reviews here are true, then this company must be really getting worse with time. I am not impressed at all.

• MagicGordon published 11/11/2005
    Talk about money making scam!
  • Lynso1977 published 11/11/2005
    Good review ... these people are definately worth staying away from. Lynso1977xx
  • VC81 published 11/11/2005