lulu2004 5

lulu2004

Member since:31.01.2004

Direct to my Dressing Table

20.05.2004

Advantages:
up to 90% saved on rrp

Disadvantages:
items move very quickly

22 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. xprettywitty
  2. carly_pussycat
  1. psychstudent1
  2. katsthebest
  3. MurkyDismal

Iím a student. Therefore Iím generally Ďskint.í However, I still seem to have a huge collection of potions or lotions which promise beautiful skin, shiny hair or sparkly eyes. Carly_Pussycat may be the cosmetics queen of Ciao, but I must certainly be near to princess standard! As I mentioned before, although my bank account is generally just in double figures, my dressing table is still bulging with top brand cosmetics. So how do I do it?

Once on a website, I read an opinion about a site called directcosmetics.com. I canít remember who wrote the opinion, or why, but I remember thinking ďby golly that sounds too good to be true!Ē so off I toddled and within 15 minutes had placed an order for 5 items. (5 items I didnít really need, but never mind.) So here I am, a few months later, and I too, am ready to bow to the God that is direct cosmetics!

+++ Why itís so great +++

Direct-Cosmetics has a huge range of branded cosmetics at absolutely rock-bottom prices! Thatís the reason itís terrific. Urban Decay Lipsticks at £3.00 that generally retail at £8.00, ĎYSL Touch Eclatí £15 instead of £21 and ĎBarefoot Doctorí gift sets for only £9.99 to name but a few. Personally I have no idea how the website does it, and at first I thought it may be only discontinued lines, but it doesnít seem to be that way at all. The site is simple- simple choose the manufacturer you want to buy from, select your product and checkout.

+++ Sample of Brands +++

The selection of brand names is hugeÖ Almay, Anna Sui, Barefoot Doctor, Beauty Without Cruelty, Diesel, DKNY, Cutex, Calvin Klein, Dior, Clarins, Clinique, Hard Candy, Urban Decay, Coty, Elizabeth Arden, Faberge, I wonít go onÖ The list would fill up the review space! Between the listed brands you will find everything from Hair Accessories and Make-up Brushes to Fragrances and Make-up. Each and every item on the site is at the lowest price that Iíve ever seen personally. And for those who donít know much about cosmetics, the above brands are extremely reputable.

+++ Site Layout and Format +++

In my opinion, the site design lets the content down a lot. It looks cheap and tacky. Dull and boring. But donít let this put you off purchasing. Although the site graphic design is poor, it is simple to navigate and make purchases from. The Home page also has a very useful feature- this weekís special offers and new arrivals, so if you are a new visitor, it is easy for you to keep track of the newest items. At the time of wring this, the new arrival is Urban Decay nail enamel at a bargain £2.50. There is also a new lipstick shade at £3.00 which I feel I may purchase.

On checking out you are directed to a secure page where you can decide to pay by switch or credit card. Generally I like to pay by switch, as my credit card debt is hideous enough on itís own, but for some reason this site doesnít recognise MY brand of switch card. (and yes there is enough in the bank to cover my transactions!) This is slightly annoying. But I suppose it cannot be helped.

+++ Quality of the Cosmetics +++

Iíve noticed absolutely no difference with my products from this website, than the ones that I buy in the stores. There are of course drawbacks to purchasing lipsticks on line- you can never test them against your skin before you buy, and by the time that you try it, you canít return it to the company for hygiene reasons. This isnít really a problem for me, as Iím a bit of a magpie when it comes to shiny tubes, I just like to have as many options as possible in my make-up box. And being an art student Iím partial to mixing up my own unique shades of glosses and lipsticks. Each and every item Iíve bought from direct cosmetics Iíve been pleased with. Although I have no experience with the perfumes yet.

+++ My experience +++

My last batch from DC.com cost £26 (-P&P) and for that I had a box containing
1x Touche Eclat
1x Hard Candy Hint Tint (tinted Moisuriser)
1x Almay Lipstick with SPF
1x Hard Candy Eyebrow pencil (this is broken now-donít buy it)
1x LíOreal Featherlash Mascara (great mascara- I will buy again)

Iím almost sure there was something else in the box too, I just canít remember off-hand. Anyway, the package arrived within 2 days. A tip, I was told, is to go to the ryanair.com website, and visit their online shop. If you click directcosmetics from there and purchase, Ryanair will foot the postage costs. It works too.. I havenít paid for mine any visit.

+++ Do I recommend? +++

Absolutely. Although Directcosmetics.com looks amateur from the outside, they are a great, efficient online store. Iíve heard that they have little shops throughout the UK, but I donít think thereís one near me. Believe me, a trip to this site will have you thinking twice about paying full (ridiculous) prices for cosmetics ever again!

psychstudent1 07.09.2005 21:28

I have been a huge fan of this site since discovering it almost three years ago. Thought I knew everything there was to know about it but am impressed with your tip about avoiding the postage cost. Thanks, I'll certainly try that.

fairy_170381 18.07.2004 16:09

Thanx for the review, have been on there site before, but never ordered from them, will now!!!

jehowe 25.05.2004 18:48

I have looked at this site before and been tempted - the ryanair tip could make all the difference! Thanks... ~ Jo :O)