diy.co.uk ( B & Q )

diy.co.uk ( B & Q )

Home & Garden

Review of "diy.co.uk ( B & Q )"

published 07/03/2001 | Diane22025
Member since : 25/01/2001
Pro quick delivery
Cons lack of knowledge

"you were right and I was wrong.."

Ok ..I don’t want to hear a told you so …As some of you know I recently experienced difficulties getting a new bath, some of you had left comments suggesting B&Q .I thought that I would put this advise to the test with some strange results.

I don’t live very near a B&Q Warehouse store, we have the smaller more limited stores, they only offer a selection of DIY essentials, and because these stores are smaller it does make walking around them so much easier. You can generally find what you are looking for but you don’t have the choice in makes or designs, which is partly my excuse for not visiting them for the suite (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it).

I contacted my local store who advised that all baths from their booklets can be purchased and delivered within 3 weeks, they suggested that I try the Warehouse 30 miles away ..which I did ..They only stock one design (not the one that I wanted), I then had a look at the web site.

The site offers from what I can see the best buys within department which meant that the choice was more limited than in my local little store. I clicked on bathroom suites and popped up the very suite I had wanted from Homebase.The information concerning products is exceptionally limited so we called the local number provided for ordering this product. The phone was answered, very quickly by a lovely lady (apparently one of two working that Sunday) and we asked about the thickness of the bath. Regretfully this information couldn’t be provided, they apologized and promised that someone would call the following day with the relevant info.I am so impatient I called the store who after three transfers gave me the information that I needed. We then called the online service again and ordered the bath

Our payment details and address were taken and we were told (again with apologies) that the suite would be delivered 3-5 days a contact number was taken. Within an hour we received another call confirming that the suite would be delivered within3-5 days and if that was alright and that we would be charged £9.95 delivery….it was perfect far better than “could be three weeks” from Homebase,

I felt confident that all was fine with the order. The courtesy received from the staff was fantastic. The site had been easy to navigate if not a little basic and very orange the products were easy located.

Today two days after our order was placed two men arrived with the suite in perfect condition. They were able to bring the bath into the house but were unable to bring the toilet and sink as this had been packed in the one box and attached to a pallet. This suited my needs yet I don’t believe that this would be convenient for all users of the service. I was never informed of the delivery date or time, so they were lucky that I was home.

All in all a good service. The staff were lovely .I would order a large product from them again but next time I would and ask for confirmation of delivery. Price comparison with Homebase, originally sold the suite for £4.00 less than B&Q, But Homebase had had the suite £9.00 more the week before.

• Bigbaz published 07/05/2001
    I purchased a power shower from the Newcastle Superstore last year. I fitted it my self and after 3 hours it went wrong, nothing to do with my fitting. A call to the store was made and I was asked to return it and an exchange would be made. I was told at the customer service desk to return it to the relevant department where I was greeted by the most ignorant man that I have ever met who refused to exchange it as the manufacturer had to visit my home and authorise the exchange. Needless to say after a lot of noise on my behalf I got the exchange. An excellent op on your behalf.
  • tommartin published 08/03/2001
    Great opinion and I have just learned something! I never knew that B&Q actually had a website. I spend hours in our local store habit picked up from decorating my newly bought house, which is now fully decorated so now I am just looking most of the time (typical bloke thing, I suppose), anyway thank you, I can sit at home drinking coffe and look now instead, Tom.
  • Squidget published 08/03/2001
    And now you will finally be able to bathe in peace! :o) Squidget