dominos.co.uk

Food, Drinks & Groceries

Review of "dominos.co.uk"

published 10/02/2004 | WormThatTurned
Member since : 31/08/2002
Good
Pro Tasty, Reasonably priced, good delivery times
Cons Service/ Website has glitches

"Doh I'm Starving Now"

Domino's is the world leader in delivering pizzas, they are a huge conglomerate American company who are expanding their operation year on year. A big reason for this, they claim, is that most of their stores are franchised which culminates in management being very customer and profit orientated (as it is in their interest). Another reason, they claim, is that they invented the rolling pizza oven/corrugated self airing boxes, heated delivery bags etc etc so they see themselves as the product leader. Finally they have 7000 stores worldwide much more than any competitor and gives them the freedom to install initiatives in areas where they can out-price the competition. You can't argue that they are biggest and most powerful but biggest isn't always best, was it in Domino's case ?

~Opening times~

Mon - Thu

16:30 : 12:00 am

Fri - Sat

12:00 : 01:00 am

Sun

12:00 : 11:00 pm

~The Menu~

STARTERS; Chicken Combo, Chicken Dunkers, Dips, Potato Wedges, Garlic Bread, Chicken Strippers.

PIZZAS; Half and half, Create your own, Tuscan Vegetables, Hot and Spicy, Pepperoni Passion, Mighty Meaty, Chicken Feast, Mixed Grill, Tandoori Hot, Vegi Volcano, Full House, Vegi Supreme, Farmhouse, Veg A Roma, Ham and Pineapple, Texas BBQ.

Small 4.99 / Medium 6.99 / Large 8.99

DESSERTS; Hanky Panky Pie, Toffee Temptation, Strawberry Cheescake

All Ice Creams priced 2.50

DRINKS; Bottles and cans of Coke/ Diet Coke/ Fanta.

~Offers~

Offers change from month to month and basically depend on which products they are trying to push or if they have any new products that they are trying to get established, however at the moment they have an offer which is available after 10 o clock any night of the week, it is any pizza and garlic bread for 9.99.

~Ordering via the Net~

To be able to order via the internet you will have to have a valid e-mail address. If you do then you can register FREE online by logging onto the website and confirming all of your details (Name/ Address/ Telephone Number/ Email Address). Once you have done this, all you do is tap in your postcode and the menu for your nearest store will be displayed, choose what you require from the menu and confirm the details. You will recieve an email from Domino's shortly after (2 minutes) with a run-down of your order and how much you will have to pay the delivery driver, if you have paid by Credit/ Debit card then you will have to sign the Credit card slip the delivery driver will hand to you. All of this is absolutely simple and even if you are not computer literate, there isn't a way you can get confused as every stage of the order is explained in simpleton terms on-screen. You can also order via cable TV thesedays but I have found that the special offers havn't been included and you end up paying more so I don't bother with that service.

~Service and delivery drivers~

Generally Domino's will quote you a 40 minute delivery time no matter what day of the week it is, this is to cover themselves in case they are extremely busy. In store they have a policy where they target 25 minutes maximum delivery time but there are always occasions when they aren't fully staffed or when unforeseen circumstances pop-up. In my experience I havn't had to wait more than 30 minutes but then again I am only 2 minutes from the store so I would be getting worried if they hadn't. The delivery drivers are all very young and vary extensively in terms of appearance, efficience and friendliness. For instance one chap turned up with music blaring out and woke up a sleeping baby, one looked like he'd been dragged through a hedge backwards, one didn't even know I had to sign a credit card slip. On the other hand there have been some very prompt, friendly ones who you can't get away from. I think basically most of them don't give a damn and are only doing it for the money and who can blame them.

~The Pizzas~

The pizzas themselves are in the main great but I have had problems at times, for instance one looked like it had been dropped as all the toppings had fell off and one wasn't at all what I ordered so I had to ring them back up and do a swap for the correct pizza. Another problem I have experienced is that sometimes the money I have had to pay at the door wasn't the price quoted on the e-mail confirmation.

~In conclusion~

My opinion is that Domino's have gotten so big and popular that they find it almost impossible to offer you the service that you should expect thesedays. Where I live I have a choice of Domino's/ Perfect Pizza or a local one called Pizza Box. Domino's is the most useful if you have no money because you can order via the internet and of course it is convenient as you don't have to walk to the shop, they also deliver quicker than the other two but they should do because they are only round the corner BUT of the three the local one is easily the best in terms of service as they get the order right every time unlike Domino's. The online service doesn't seem to work properly even though it is a useful tool and until they iron out the website/ instore link glitches I won't be using it again if I can help it. My advice if your ordering a pizza from Domino's is visit the store to make sure you get what you want!

Thanks for reading

==================

WormThatTurned2004

• voyagerdude220 published 22/10/2005
    Dominos is opening a store 2 mins away from me, on a week on Momday. (31st Oct) I'm very happy that they are opening right near me, because I've allways enjoyed having their pizza in Prestwich (Manchester), & i'm sure i will do, when Dominos is open here in Blackburn. Shame about problems with ordering on the internet though. Ian
  • disneyeyes published 16/05/2004
    The internet service leaves a lot to be desired. If I enter my postcode on the website it tells me that Domino's don't deliver to my area. They certainly do however - there's a branch a couple of miles away and they've happily been taking my telephone orders for years.
  • ndf9876 published 24/02/2004
    I've used this service many times before but I've noticed (its probably just my area) that their delivery times are slightly longer than conventional 'telephone' ordering. Once it took them about 90 minutes to deliver - mind you there were about 10 pizzas in the order!!!