christoph... 4

christopherj84

Member since:01.01.1970

He has the looks of Leonardo Di Caprio

17.01.2002

Advantages:
freebies, informative, content

Disadvantages:
won't appeal to everyone

27 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. ariadne
  2. Baywatch_Fan2002
  3. molelover
  1. Bastien

apparently

Douglas World

Douglas World is a simple website and appeals to a certain audience and although many people will ignore it as boring, it can be exactly the opposite.

The appeal of the freebies drives people to the site but like myself, not too many stay to see the whole site.

The Site Itself

You go to the site at www.douglasworld.co.uk. If you have any software that stops pop-up windows, you will have to temporarily disable them as the site is a pop-up window. If you forget, no need to worry as you just have to click on the link, this will open a new window.

Now you are in, you will probably want to register and start earning points. This is a simple process that involves you giving some of the normal details away. I have not received any junk mail/email/phone calls related to the site so you can relax with that point. The details are so that you can claim your gifts when you get enough points.

Once registered, you log in under the title of 'Lurpack Loyalty.' You get 100 points for visiting the site each week, 100 points for every referral and also points for joining.

Rewards

There are three pieces of merchandise that you can claim with your points.

(1) Tea Towel
500 points
(2) Socks
900 points
(3) Apron
1300 points

These are not difficult to obtain; you only need 2700 points to get them all, this only 6 months and a few referrals.

I haven't actually received anything yet as I'm waiting for that elusive apron so I cannot comment on the quality and delivery time but it is basically free.

Get Lucky with Lurpack

As I am a very casual user and visit once every two weeks (or more) I haven’t actually saw any competitions yet but I'll take their word for it. I'll wildly assume that they give you great prizes such as points, socks, and badges; but then again, it is free.

Fun with Douglas

This is clearly aimed at the younger members of our community and the more artistically talented. There is a dot-to-dot, a picture to colour in and a colouring competition. These are all pictures that you can print out. The competition is open for 6-12 year olds and gives them the chance to win a Douglas doll.

Butter Banter

This contains a 'Douglas Forum' and 'Pop a Question.' Pop a Question is a special place where people can ask Douglas questions ranging from 'What is Penelope Kieth doing these days?', 'Do you like being a star?' to 'Is your trombone a custom made one?' In fact, this is all that this area has to offer, I'm sure that within a few years, they may have some more questions. The Douglas forum is a place for fans to meet, it is almost empty but quite interesting for fans.

Douglas Downloads

I never actually realised this bit existed until I was writing this review and is possibly the second best bit. The two downloads consist of a wallpaper and a screenmate. The screenmate is just over 0.5 MB and takes a minute or so the download, the six wallpapers are around 220kb in size.

The screenmate gives you an .exe file that runs a picture of Douglas, it moves around your screen and does various tasks including playing the cello, trombone, bowing, eating, offering a rose and suggesting 'we' visit his website.

My Favourites

An advert for Hartley's Jam, 'the yummiest treat you can give to your taste buds'.

Good…Better…Butter

This is a mixture of strange butter facts and odd adverts for Lurpack like 'The taste of LURPAK is guaranteed to make your taste buds tap dance.' Also included are some recipes for brandy butter, gingerbread, scones and shortbread. All with Lurpack as a main ingredient.

Your Basket

This is a kind of online shop where you can buy Douglas merchandise. It looks very collectable and includes a video of Douglas' highlights. I have never bought anything from it but it looks good quality. I am not sure if P&P is to be added to the prices either.

Old But Good

This is a brief history of Douglas: it comprises of a video clip of his finest moments on TV with Penelope Keith. There is a new one every week, so you have even more reason to visit.

Overall End Bit

I had been visiting this site for a few weeks but never really looked deeper into it (through all the categories), I never actually realised there was so much on the site. And the title is a quote from the man himself.

wiggglypufff 29.01.2002 23:01

Sounds like fun. The tea towel would be handy, so I think I'll check it out. Thanks, Karen

Dave39 27.01.2002 17:58

I received this in my inbox yesterday. I thought it was useless. Sorry.

hanbag 26.01.2002 01:41

great op! I must have a look, sounds fun!