ebay.co.uk

Auctions

Review of "ebay.co.uk"

published 16/11/2009 | EVIT
Member since : 02/06/2008
Good
Pro easy to use, you can grab bargains or declutter your house
Cons not seller-friendly, fees feast

"Ebay - my Love-Hate review"

Ebay, My Little Review

This is not the first review on ebay and it won't be the last either but I wanted to share some opinions I have of this website which I sometimes use, love, hate and sometimes thank.

The first time I saw ebay was in 2004, back then the website was something completely different, full of genuine sellers doing a virtual "yard sale", although it was also a bit less friendly to use, plenty of design flaws too. It was easier to find great deals but of course it had its downsides, many people in those years did not have digital cameras (nowadays it's unlikely to find a person without one) so many auctions were simply "described" but with no picture associated and it was sometimes a blind purchase. I don't remember paypal being that common at that time (until ebay bought it and brought it to fame) so also paying wasn't always easy unless you had a bank account or similar. Western Union was very popular with overseas purchases and also very expensive.

Ebay has become over the years more and more user-friendly (thanks to so many improvements of their website) and easy-to-do (you can really create an auction in few moments now). As many of you already know it has also become widely hated, first with the imposition paypal over the ebay World, then with constantly updated terms&conditions which seem to get worse and worse for the sellers the more they update them. Not to mention the 10% final value fees to be added to the paypal fees and insertion fees... it's a fees feast!!! And that's what annoyed people the most! Wasn't 3.5% final value fee only a year or two ago??
It seems that the new policy is to protect the buyers much better (which is not a bad thing in itself) but for some reason sellers protection was increasingly reduced. I understand that ebay wants to protect who spends money but being a seller costs money too. An auction site full of buyers and only few sellers won't last long I'll tell you.
To slow down the loss of sellers, ebay sometimes launches some fees-free days, although these are hardly appealing for many, they are for me the only thing that still keeps me registered to the site.

I even used to have an ebay shop some years ago because it was convenient if you were selling a lot of items, I closed it the year later because it soon became too expensive to keep it up after new terms&conditions were added (along with new prices and fees).
In these days I scarcely use ebay. I'm always waiting for a fees-free day so at least I don't have anything to pay if the item doesn't get sold.

To the sellers

Here is ONE serious tip for those who sometimes want to sell on ebay:

--> only wait for fees-free days.

This way ebay will notice that they only get a desirable amount of new auctions when they offer free insertion fees. Hopefully this will lead them to offer these more often (if not remove them pemanently but that's a far-fetched dream)

To the buyers

ebay protects you much better these days BUT eBay is not a police authority and has very little power over fraudolent individuals, especially if outside the country so always check the feedbacks of the seller, read descriptions very carefully and payment methods. Don't expect to buy a new Apple laptop for £100. It sounds silly to say but these things happens more often than you can imagine.

In conclusion

Ebay is a useful auction site if used carefully. As a buyer I couldn't do without, I've bought many many things from ebay, plenty of deals too, rarely bad purchases. As a seller it's something I would avoid at any cost if I didn't have the house full of stuff that I don't really need anymore. I don't like carboot sales so I prefer to give them away for almost nothing on ebay. I wait for those magic offers from ebay newsletter: "no insertion fees", I choke on the final value fees and I post my auctions in a few clicks.
Strangely what annoyes me the most is not-serious buyers, much more than the stratospheric fees.
Would I recommend it? Yes, it's still useful if you want to find some bargains or declutter your house but with all the disadvantages that I've spoken about.

I can't resist from asking you to check out my current auctions on ebay which are also shared on 'My Ciao' profile. I have many return customers and I wouldn't mind some of my stuff to go to Ciao fellow members.

_
or, to see the categories, follow this other link:
_

• Zurich11 published 08/06/2011
    Great review. Kate xx
  • hayleigh_18 published 20/07/2010
    I have bought much but sold very little; infact the items I listed to sell did not sell at all and I gave up with them; I think the buying is great though!
  • chocoholic published 09/03/2010
    The thing is if you do only sell on fee-free days then your items are likely to auction for less due to the greater amount of items selling at the time. Some excellent points made!