eclipse-computers.com (Eclipse Computers, Coventry)

eclipse-computers.com (Eclipse Computers, Coventry)

Computers & Electronics

Review of "eclipse-computers.com (Eclipse Computers, Coventry)"

published 11/07/2008 | aimmia
Member since : 10/07/2008
Pro The PC does work at least.
Cons Stock issues, poor customer service, delivery costs high
Layout & Design
Navigation
Site content & information
Range of services/products
Prices

"Custom build PC....A painful experience"

Ordered a custom built Platinum Series gaming PC, components selected via their impressive on-line interface. I was happy with my selection and the price, but soon I realised that there was a problem. They say that 3 days should be allowed for building, testing and delivery of custom built systems. Ha!.....13 days later I decided to call up and ask why my machine hasn't been delivered. Mark (the one person that answers the phone) said that they had some problems with the items selected, namely the motherboard, case, power supply, mouse, keyboard and graphics card!
One of the most alarming points made by Mark was that the default motherboard used for their platinum series systems was end-of-line stock and they had no way of ordering new ones! Why use it as the one option that cannot be changed then?

I asked to cancel the order due to this lack of professionalism, they couldn't even call to inform me of this particular hurdle. Mark informed me that I would be charged £50 for cancelling the order, to which my reply was "How can you charge me for stock you don't have? I'm sure that's illegal in the UK". Apparently the charge was for building the PC, without any of the parts other than the CPU and hard drive?
After checking my bank account and not wanting to loose £50, I foolishly decided to give them another go. This time I though I'd replace the missing parts with alternatives.

I called back and spoke with Marks superior, who was very jolly, and seemed very helpful. I went through the parts that he thought were missing and replaced them with recommended alternatives which they apparently had in stock. The next day I received an email from Mark wanting me to go through the selection again. Turns out that they also have difficulty talking to one another. I replaced the parts again, this time with Marks recommendations. He even went off to check on times and stock availability.

So, by now I thought I was getting somewhere but... no.... again I was contacted with more bad news; these latest recommendations weren't available either and I would need to try again. This time, as I was unwilling to upgrade my motherboard to £200 model recommended. Mark was able to locate an equivalent model to my original selection. I was informed that the system would be with me the next day but no....the issue now was that I'd have to wait for testing of the system to complete, an additional day.. but hey... at least it was built.

I received the delivery today to find that the case had not be screwed shut and one of the panels had come off in transit, breaking the warranty seal. On further inspection I noticed that the hard disk was simply hanging inside not attached by anything other than the SATA cable.
I took pictures, emailed them through to Mark simply to ask for confirmation that it was OK for me to resolve myself. No response surprisingly, so I called. Mark informed me that there was nothing he could do and that customer support would need to deal with it. After getting the number from Mark I called...no answer and eventually the phone call ended. Again and again I called and was placed in an automated queue, each time the person on the other end was obviously hanging up as the delay before hangup was random. I assume the phone ringing was irritating someone.

So now I'm stuck with a system that is not covered under warranty because the case and contents were not correctly fastened and the seals broken.

My company has also encountered similar issues with Eclipse-Computers... Never again!

• torr published 11/07/2008
    Welcome to Ciao. Sorry to hear of your experience and thanks for the warning.
  • manlybeach published 11/07/2008
    One to avoid then! Good 1st review and welcome to ciao
  • majeedkazi published 11/07/2008
    Hi welcome to Ciao,,Good first review...