egroups.com

General Chat Rooms & Forums

Review of "egroups.com"

published 28/12/2000 | LostWitness
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Good
Pro Communicate with like minded inidviduals
Cons Need keen participants.

"Nice idea yet to decide if it works"

I have subscribed to my first eGroup - I've signed up to the eGroup that I saw advertised for keen Ciao users, and thought it might be a useful way to spread/gain ideas and air some more views.

The principle of the eGroup is quite simple - one or more users acts as a moderator and effectively "owns" the group. You then apply to join the group, and the moderator signs you up (or tells you to get lost). Once you are in the group, you can post messages to a message board, send emails direct to other users, post attachments, such as photos and take part in user-maintained polls.

There seems to be a lot of emphasis on the moderator to maintain, and motivate, the eGroup and a lot of the messages have come from the moderator. In fact, it would appear that only a small proportion of the members actively use the egroup. Whenever I have posted a message I have received a prompt response, but usually from the same two or three people.

I would suggest that the principal of an eGroup is sound, and that the website can very effectively be used to communicate and share ideas. I can't help but think, however, that many members have subscribed on a whim, and aren't really that interested. The Ciao eGroup is really a forum for getting yourself known within the Ciao community, but at the current time I am disappointed with the general level of participation from most of the users.

• Morgenhund published 02/01/2001
    Part of the thing as with a lot of things you register for, is that there is an initial bout of enthusiasm, but then the novelty value decreases, and interest wanes. Morgenhund
  • boydgray published 31/12/2000
    I tend to agree with you Phil, having looked up the Ciao egroup myself. If I want to communicate with you I do what I'm doing now!
  • Connoisseur_Haggler1 published 28/12/2000
    hows that for a response!!e-groups are all different, its dependant on what users want..I personally felt a need to build up a ciao users community especially as Uk ciao got fully interactive on 16 Nov and launched an excellent platform (or ugraded it. Other opinion sites already had fully interactive systems for at least 6 months so Uk ciao's is the latest addition. THey also had communities and message boards where members can share thoughts and concerns and interact with staff. With the recent POLLS that Users themselves create (not moderator limited!!:) they are throwing light on what areas they wish to discuss. If you are interested in more interactive features than what e-groups offers I have set up an e-circles group..but only in testing phase..(it has far more user friendly intercative features as Voice chat, text chat etc)again only if a particular group wants this will it work. Hopefully within time it may take off..if theres a need..if not..so be it..bearing in mind the NEW ciao uk is only a month old and so is ciao_uk e-groups!! I'm sorry I haven't had much time to post directly myself recently as I've been up and down the country..and just so you know how addicted I really am,..I'm checking up on my various e-groups and ciao! ON-ROUTE from beautiful Wales!! thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR CH. (opps, sorry if I 've written another opinion in your comments box!! :)