freecycle.org

Free Stuff

Review of "freecycle.org"

published 03/07/2010 | ilusvm
Member since : 08/09/2004
Will do my best to return all the reads that I can. Give me a nudge if it looks like I've forgotten you. :)
Pro Free to use, stops things ending up in landfills, reduces consumerism.
Cons You wont get any money for your items.

"Give away your junk (or get something you need)"

After such success with this website over the last 2 days I felt compelled to review it. Having sold our family home but with all of us already owning furniture in our new homes, we had planned to sell much of the furniture from the family home. But then laziness took hold, time passed an all of a sudden we only had a week left to get everything out. Offers to friends and family got rid of a few bits but we were effectively left with a 4 bedroom house full of furniture that needed to go quickly! Much of the furniture had enjoyed some good use from us and wouldn’t really have had much sale value anyway. It felt criminal just to take the furniture to the rubbish tip, or even to give it to someone that would the sell it on and make a profit. Somehow we came across the freecycle website. Mercenary

Freecycle is a network made up of lots of groups, so there will almost definitely be a group for your area. The groups are run by local volunteer moderators. When you join the site you join a group (or several) for the areas you are interested in. You can then advertise anything you want to get rid of on the condition that it is free of charge and legal! You can also send out a request for something you need. The site is very easy to use and although the pages are a little slow to load at times, it is a quick and easy process to list your unwanted items.

On Thursday evening we listed a range of items. These included a slightly tatty but still reasonable condition 3 piece suite, a large dining room table with chairs, computer chairs, desks, BBQ, garden chair, piano, some old but still useable double beds, childrens toys, a baby bath, bedside lamps, pots and pans and various other items. By Friday morning the calls were flooding in and by Saturday morning all of our items listed had found a new home. The people that came and collected are items were all from our local area and were so grateful to be receiving items that they needed but perhaps could not afford to buy new.

It was comforting to know that our items were going to homes where they would be appreciated rather than just sold on. Each person had their own story of why they needed the items and it felt really good to be able to help. One story that particularly touched us was a gentleman who came to collect our rusty, old children’s slide and swing which had both definitely seen better days. We hadn’t imagined anyone would want them and had planned on taking them to the tip. It transpired that his son had spent his youth in very unfortunate circumstances after falling in with the wrong crowd, drugs etc had ruined this young mans life. He had then fallen in love with a woman who he married and had a child with – since that moment he had completely turned his life around and was unrecognisable from the man that had been so messed up previously. He was a doting dad and desperate to provide his child with a good start in life. He was working hard and managing to rent a house but it was in such a deprived area that whenever they had saved up enough money to purchase a swing for the garden it had been stolen. The guys father had said that hopefully the fact that the swing and slide were so battered and rusty meant that no one would break into the garden to steal them this time and the child would be able to enjoy them. He was so incredibly grateful for something we were ready to dispose of.

Every single item that was collected this weekend went to someone that appreciated it far more than we could have hoped for. A young mum who’s partner had left here was over the moon with the baby bath and some winnie the pooh bedroom furniture.

The site is just amazing. We managed to clear a whole house of furniture in just two days with minimal hassle. Many of the people that came to collect an item ended up taking something else from the piles of stuff we were trying to get rid off. By the end of today everything had a good home and we were so happy not to have sent it all to landfill.

The idea behind the site is not only to save the environment by reducing consumerism, but it brings back the sense of community where one persons cast off is another persons treasure. I think that the site is just such a brilliant idea and I am amazed by some of the things I have seen offered on the site. It is definitely worth signing up to your local group, even if just to find a good home for what you think is some old junk, but what may be really useful for someone else. The site points out that electrical items are often not accepted by charity shops as they have to go through a number of tests before they can be sold on. Whereas on Freecycle they can be passed on without any hassle.

5 stars from me and I urge you to take a look at this site. In theory, the more people that use it, the less unwanted household items that will end up in landfill. A great way to get rid of things you no longer need and an even better way to acquire things that you need.

• lights84 published 26/07/2013
    It's really easy to give stuff away on Freecycle, even broken stuff, but I have yet to have any success getting something I need for it - stuff seems to go very quickly.
  • JOHNV published 22/05/2011
    Very interesting - and rather touched by the story of the family to whom the swing went.
  • catsholiday published 10/04/2011
    I have been a member for a few years but do get fed up with those who say they want something then don't turn up.