Connoisse... 5

Connoisseur_Haggler1

Member since:30.09.2000

I saved 500 pounds on a camcorder......

12.12.2001 (16.04.2003)

Advantages:
cheap prices, upto 60% savings against High Street prices, fast website, EXCELLENT & helpful customer services

Disadvantages:
as of 2004 the site doesn't exist !  (see update)

63 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. kateciao
  2. anwar
  3. Agape_

If you are looking to buy the latest camcorders at the very best prices chances are you will find some of the most competitive prices at go2camcorder. I first came across the site go2camcorder.co.uk whilst looking to buy a digital camcorder last month. After searching all other online Electronics sites such as; Comet, Amazon, Empire Direct etc and even unbeatable.co.uk; which despite having the name ‘unbeatable’ are infact easily beatable on price; Go2camcorder came out best on price. Those of you who use product/price search engines such as pricerunner will notice how often go2camcorder consistently comes out as the lowest price for the same electronics product.

go2camcorder.co.uk

Go2camcorder is one of the largest wholesalers of electronic products in Europe. It is also owned by one biggest pure Internet electronics retailers in Europe; Hi-Fi Components Bernhard Vehns GmbH. Being the largest retailers in Europe allows go2camcorder to make massive purchases and saving costs which allows them to pass these savings directly to the consumer. This is why you can find up to 60% savings at go2camcorder compared against High Street shops, and savings of up to 30% against other Internet sites I have compared with. As well as being the largest; Go2camcorder have over 20 year’s experience in the field of consumer electronics so you can be sure of a professional service.

Go2camcorder have an extensive range of the latest camcorders on the market. In addition to camcorders they also sell a variety of other home entertainment products such as DVD players, TV’s, VCR’s, and portable audio players such as Mini disc players, and stand alone Hi-Fi pieces and accessories. They stock a wide range of reputable brand names such as Sony, Technics, Denon, Harman Kardon, Pioneer, Sharp, Panasonic, Canon etc. In case you don’t find what you are looking for you can always send them in enquiry e-mail and see if they will get the product for you. I can assure should you decide to e-mail them you will get a reply, unlike other online sites I could mention!

WEBSITE

On first impressions the site looks clear and well laid out in a simple white background with clear photos visible of poplar products on the home page. There is no over use of colours on the site, it is mostly in white with only orange and black colours for wording.
The site is fast to load, simple and functional there are no fancy flash graphics to be found here. This is a site that means business for people who know what they want, see the LOW price and buy! No gimmicks, no downloading time, just straightforward, fast and to the point. I couldn’t ask for anything more in a e-tailer site!

Navigation -

There’s no messing around on this web site design; you don’t have to scroll through series of sub-menu’s to find what you want here! Everything is within easy reach. The home page shows a list of current popular electronics products ranging from the latest camcorders to the most popular mini disc players such as the Sony MZ-R 700, or even the lowest price multi-region DVD player for around £130. If you don’t see what you want on the home page there is a side task panel on the left that allows you to find the product of your choice; be it Accessories, Camcorder, DVD, Hi-Fi, or Vision (which incidentally is TV’s, not photography). There are some slightly different phrases used as it’s a European site. There is also a Fast Search facility, which will take you directly to the product of your choice. You can search by product, brand name or model number.

For example I was looking for a Sony Digital camcorder, so I can type in Sony + camcorder and it will display a list of all the Sony camcorders available. I actually knew the model I wanted so got a link directly to the product. When you click on the product of interest it will display a product photo (if available) and a complete specification list of the product with the price. If the item is out of stock there will be message saying; ‘1 day delivery’ for example. You may find this 1 day – 5 day waiting times if you are looking to buy the latest digital camcorders such as the just released new micro digital Sony DCR-IP7 camcorder that uses a small micro-disc for recording, DCR-PC-120 or sometimes on popular the Sony DCR-TRV-30 which offers superb quality and value for money (*now replaced by Sony DCR-TRV50).

BUYING EXPERIENCE:-

Once you have selected the item you wish to buy you have a choice of adding it to basket and proceeding via online sales or you can place your order by phone 0208 349 8028, telephone lines are open Mon-Fri 10a.m. to 4p.m. or by fax, post or e-mail. I have been waiting to buy a digital camcorder for many many months and once I found the camcorder of my choice, none other than the Sony DCR TRV-30 I was astonished at the price it was £500 cheaper than the official Sony shop! (who were selling it for £1499.99), Go2camcorder’s price was £1019 - a saving of almost £500!! Not only was it cheaper than all High Street prices it was cheaper than any Internet price I could find in UK or Europe! The same camcorder at unbeatable.co.uk was priced at £1,188.99 that’s £170 more! So unbeatable you are easily beaten!! Incidentally I passed through Dubai Duty Free in December 2001 and noticed a German guy buying the same Sony camcorder; the guy had been waiting to buy the camcorder for months and was delighted to find it and happy with the price. Though, even Dubai Duty Free could not beat Go2camcorder price he paid £1052 (£33 more than I did!) for the same camcorder in Dubai, still not a bad price. As after Go2amcorder there is a big increase of around £100 for next Internet bargain.

Ecstatic with the price I decided to pay for my purchase via phone, as given the choice I’d prefer credit card transactions to take place via the phone even though most sites allows 128 bit encryption. Payment can be made online or via phone by Visa, Switch, Solo, JCB or of you prefer you can post them a cheque. I placed my order late on Thursday and was told my camcorder would be with me early next week by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I managed to negotiate an amicable deal with go2camcorder and managed a slight discount on the existing competitive price. They also agreed to throw in a free digital camcorder tape! Thank you Go2camcorder!

Delivery -

Delivery is a standard £9.50 and is made by insured courier, at the time of my delivery the courier’s were City Link. My order arrived promptly on Tuesday, so the delivery time was about 3 days. In all cases you will be advised by telephone call if there is any delay to your delivery. Don’t worry if you are out in the day as with Go2camcorder you can arrange delivery to your home address or work address.

Warranty -

All Go2camcorder’s products are UK specification and come with 1 year waranty. Even though many products are shipped from The Netherlands or Germany every care is taken to make sure UK specifications and warranties are maintained. My product (camcorder) came intact with all the english manuals as well as the Dutch and German one’s too! If there is any problem with your purchase Go2camcorder will replace the product within 1 year.

Customer services –

After Sales service is excellent and the staff are genuinely helpful and know their products and warranties. After receiving my goods I had a query regarding the SONY warranty which had a Netherlands address on it’d I was assured it was UK specification and not to post the warranty and any repairs or replacement would be done by Go2camcrder. I later checked other Sony camcorder models in the High street shops and they too were identical and came with the same Netherlands warranty. So if you do fill in that warranty and post it off to the Netherlands it will create more problems. It is better to contact the shop or Internet site from where you bought the Sony product.

Go2camcorder had also run out of digital camcorder tapes which they had promised to send me and as a kind gesture they phoned around a few retailers and managed to send me one as I was going on holiday to India in 2 days. I got my tape sent to me the next day by 1st Class post. Superb friendly customer service!

*UPDATE 1

About 6 months after writing this the battery failed on my Sony camcorder and one phone call to Go2camcorder gave me two choices of either sending parts back to them free of charge (though it may take longer) or I could go to my local official Sony shop. I chose the latter option and got my battery replaced at the Sony shop, all I had to do was show my recipt for the camcorder which firstly proves date of purchase and secondly confirms it IS UK specification!

Overall, Go2camcorder have the lowest prices on the Internet in Europe with a stunning efficient customer service to match. I have no hesitation in recommending this company to anyone interested in Electronics products, particularly camcorders and award the company and site 5 stars!

Further details:-

Tel: +44 0208 349 8028
Fax: 0208 349 8632
E-Mail: info@go2camcorder.co.uk

UPDATE 2004

Sadly, the Uk site go2camcorder does not exist anymore and you will be directed to the German site called hificomponents, prices will be in Euros. I have not ordered from the German site so cannot give you anymore info.

ttp://www.hificomponents.de/Versand_eng/preisliste_eng.htm

Connoisseur_haggler©ciao 2001, update 2002, 2004

anwar 13.06.2003 20:45

had never heard of this site so will now check them out as I am looking for a camcorder!thanks a great review.

jaffa38 25.04.2003 11:45