hamper.com

Flowers & Gifts

Review of "hamper.com"

published 08/09/2003 | twinkle100200
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro good selection, quality & value
Cons no next day or weekend deliveries

"makes a lovely gift"

I am always trying to come up with different ideas for presents, especially for people that I do not know very well or for the person who have everything.

I came across Hamper.com when I was looking for a present for a 60th birthday for my partner's boss.

We had gone through a few ideas and decided a hamper may be something a bit different so checked out the internet for some sites.

Hamper.com really came out tops, it was easy to use and we especially like the 'create your own' hamper so you could pick and chose items you thought would be suitable and also to the budget you wanted to spend.

The site itself has many different ideas for gifts and hampers, these are -classic hampers, flowers, themed hampers, chocolates, port and stilton, wine selection,long life, smoked salmon, meats, fruit, christmas, Australian theme, Canadian theme and New Zealand theme.

Within each of these sections there are a number of different gifts and hampers. The hampers all contain different items and are of various price ranges. All contents are listed and there is a picture to show what it looks like and the packaging.

The themed hampers include, teddy & choc, a birthday cake, celebraton breakfast, the burns hamper, baby basket, gentlemens gift, after dinner, nursery gift, tea time tray and the tuck box.

There was really something for everyone just in this section alone. To give an idea the Celebration breakfast included, Chamelle Bucks Fizz, Nestle Smarties Biscuits, H R Higgins Finest Ground Coffee Blend, Twinings Traditional English Breakfast Tea, sliced Smoked Scottish Salmon, English Provender Strawberry Preserve with Champagne, English Provender Grapefruit & Ginger Marmalade and a nice wooden tray. Really a lovely gift to receive and the cost on this one was £24.97 + delivery. Who wouldn't have liked that on a special morning!

The birthday cake had quite a long delivery time (10 working days) and I thought this was a bit too long for people like me who do not plan ahead very well.

The 'creat your own' as mentioned earlier was the one I went for on this occassion. The reason was I wanted to pick a particular wine and just accompany it with the food I knew was his favourite (cheese, biscuits, pickles etc).

Firstly you chose the packaging from a choice of a traditional wicker basket, a palm leaf basket or a plain postal carton. You them proceed to pick what you want to include inside from sections titled, alcohol, chocs & sweets, fruit, biscuits, coffee & tea, cheese, salmon/fish/meats, cakes, nibbles, preserves, soups, sauces & relishes. There are a number of items available under each heading all with different prices.

As you pick an item and start to build the hamper you see the total cost as you go along so you can work to your budget.

There is so much choice that I am sure you will find something suitable for the price you want to pay.

The delivery charges are noted by each gift/hamper on a dropdown - prices for UK are an extra £5.

They can deliver outside the UK but you need to check on each gift as to where. They do mention calling them to discuss on some countries and also detail their sister site hamper.net as an alternative.

They advise you to book 2 days in advance (which is the only date choice you can put in from) but only say that they aim to despatch to arrive on the date you say rather than guarantee. My hamper arrived on the correct date so hopefully they usually get it right!

Other features include a privacy policy, on-line security for payments, gift vouchers and a questions place if you need to contact them

I think this is an excellent site, my birthday gift was received very well and I was told what a lovely gift it was with a great whicker basket to keep and use again.

I always judge things by whether I would like to receive one and there are definitly a few I would love to receive.

Take a look, I'm sure you will find it interesting.

• ICECOLD published 04/12/2003
    very interesting review, particularly as I am looking for a hamper and have spent all afternoon going thru Marks and Sparks etc, without much joy...will go and look at this site asap.
  • nursey311 published 14/10/2003
    I love getting parcels through the door!! love julie xx
  • herby30 published 09/10/2003
    Good idea for Christmas, thanks Heather:)