Review of "hotmail.com"

published 27/01/2003 | PERFIDIOUS
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Find Anyone
Cons Im not sure it is still free anymore

"I thankyou Hotmail from the bottom of my heart"

I opened a hotmail account three years ago. I have to admit I was a little snobby about it, but it was free and a useful address to have when visiting any sites that required an email address that I was not happy about giving my 'normal' account details to.

In those days opening a hotmail account was free but Im not sure if that still applies now.

At the end of each month I would check my hotmail account and was always shocked about the vast amounts of 'junk mail' I would recieve.
I wasn't a big fan of hotmail at all and would sneer at people who used it as there only email address.

It was inevitable that I would at some have to do a U-turn and sincerely apologise for my snobbiness.

My brother and I lost contact a few years ago shortly after he seperated from his wife and child. I still havent found my brother but I did manage to find my sister-in-law and nephew thanks to hotmail.

I didnt have a lot of information, just her name and that she lived in Canada. I was at my wits end. Endless internet searches lead me to nothing but a dead end.
Then someone suggested I use the search facility available with my hotmail account.

This search facility lets you search the list of hotmail members in any part of the world! So with the little information I had I entered it into the search. Three members came up matching my criteria. Although it doesnt give you their email address you can still send an email to them and hope they reply back. I did this and would you believe it one of them was my sister-in-law!
Since then we havent stop talking to each other, and with the added bonus of MSN Messenger we can talk to each other without the phone bill.
My nephew is eight now and my partner and I intend to visit in the summer.
So I thankyou hotmail for helping me to reunite with my family and I am sorry for being such a snob

• parker-munn published 28/01/2003
    Interesting you found someone using the search facility.
  • vicky27 published 28/01/2003
    What a lovely story, I am so glad you found your family.
  • MALU published 27/01/2003
    Fascinating that you can find people this way!