hotornot.com

Review of "hotornot.com"

published 10/01/2003 | jo1l
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro It's a giggle!
Cons It can be ego denting!

"I'm Hot..."

"Your on Hot or Not?" "Erm why?" Rapidly followed up by "and what's yer score then?" Were the choice words used by Assethound when I casually mentioned as you do that I'd uploaded my photo on to HotorNot.com. Now you could be forgiven into thinking I was vain and needed the admiration of all those anonymous 10 givers but the truth was it was a bit of a dare, with the girls over on Chuckleweb so in the end a few of us put our photo's up to see if the rest of the online world thought we were hotties. This dare spawned a few new threads over on the chuckleweb forum as well as we daily updated our scores, meets etc!

Hotornot.com is allegedly run by Jim and James from their front room, I say allegedly as the site really most be making them a fortune! Up to press soome 3 billion votes have been cast and over 5 million photo's submited so this isn't some small fry site!!

So what's the point of this site your probably asking well in all honesty there isn't really! I kind of went throw a bit of an addiction -no not at looking at my rating but at rating other people! Unfortunately there are some hilarious photos of people out there! I'm sure my pic raised a few OMG's as well!

The site is pretty basic if you just want to rate pics then there is no need to join the site you can just click on your choosen rating then another photo pop's up with your last victims score and photo towards the left of the frame with how long it was since they checked their score! It's pretty hilarious and some what thought provoking as it would appear that a bit of bare flesh does tend to merit a higher rating of some absolute howlers! When I mean bare flesh I'm not talking nudity - all pics are moderated by a team of onsite moderators so you won't find any naughty photo's here!! should you wish to custumize your rating experience you can choose to rate certain catergories and age groups.

Now should you wish to be brave/stupid you might just fancy uploading your own photo up on Hotornot.com. This is a relative straight forward process. You have to sign up to create an account with a user name and password. The only details you have to do is give your email address. From start to finish it should take no more than 5 minutes!your photo is given a unique user URL - handy to send to all family and friends who'll give you a ten! Once you have uploaded a photo to the site you have your own profile area from here you can delete the photo or sign up for the meet me scheme!

Meet me is the part of the site that make money, it's free to add your photo to this section - most people do but it's not compulsory. If you should want to do that you need to click on the join meet me link which then takes you to a pretty basic form. Location details are asked for as Meet Me is broken down into location -so you can find someone close to you or not as the case maybe! You will need to do a short introduction to yourself -there is a minimum of 100 charactors! Also you can add key words which can be used as a search method. Once all this is done it's a question of waiting for your daily meet me email with the links to the other persons photo's in it find out who wants to meet you. You can of course search for your ideal soul mate or not by using the search facility in the Meet Me section. This can be done either by using location age and sex or by key words entirely up to you!

Now I signed up for the meet me scheme not because I actually want to meet anyone more out of curiousity as to who would want to meet me! I've had some rather gorgeous looking ones, some psycho's, toyboys, elderly "gentlemen" and one very strange Scottish bloke who asked to meet me every day for 3 days in a row! I'd say sign up for it but don't take it seriously!

When you recieve your email with your meet me's in you'll get a link to their photo and profile if you want to meet them just tick the yes box they will then be added to your double matches section in your profile. Should you wish to actually contact them you will be able to send a free note - which is a tick box affair but doesn't allow you to personalise it with your email etc. Shouuld they be a star member then you will be able to send them an email via the site. Your email is not given out at any stage till you decide to give it!

Star membership is where the site makes money. If you can imagine it has prehaps some 20,000 plus meet you matches every day a good proportion of these will take out Star membership. In terms of say dating agency fee's ( No I have not investigated these thank you very much!) I'm sure they compare very favourable. The fees for star membership is $5.95 for one month, $17.95 for 3 months and $32.95 for 12 months. This is payable on a subscription basis via Paypal.

With regards to hotornot.com I'd say go have a giggle but don't take it seriously! If you're vain then prehaps the ones might just be a bit of an ego dent but if your not it can be fun especially if you do it as a group like we did over on Chuckleweb.co.uk

My user link is http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NMHLBSK&key=ASR
But be kind with your ratings or I'll cry!

• roxygirl published 10/02/2003
    I have visited this site before, but I'm WAY too shy to put my pic up. -Sarah :)
  • freespirit1402 published 28/01/2003
    Im a NOT :P
  • MadeinScotland published 26/01/2003
    I was on this about 2 yrs ago and was not rated very hot - it doe get depressing! kate