micksheff 4

micksheff

About me: Thanks for the nice Premium Fund payment. Suddenly it all seems worthwhile.

Member since:18.07.2003

How Much Did Your Neighbour Pay For Their House!

10.02.2007

Advantages:
Can Monitor Property Prices In An Area

Disadvantages:
Could Be Considered An Invasion Of Privacy

35 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. dbirse
  2. donnabroom
  3. bonsi6337

I recently discovered this Website when a friend told me about it, and I couldn't resist having a look. This Website is located at http://www.houseprices.co.uk and it is completely free to access. Even better there is not even any need to register with the site so you can rest assured that after you have paid the site a visit that you won't be bombarded with junk mail.

This Website works because of its sheer simplicity. It makes no boasts and to be honest the look of the site is somewhat bland. What this Website does have to offer however is a wealth of information relating to House Prices in the whole of the UK.

In fact this site has information relating to the sale price of every House that has been sold in the UK since the 1st January 2000. This information has been gathered from the Land Registry, a Government Department that collates all information relating to Property Sales and Purchases.

The Website is constantly updated, typically at the end of each Month, but it is usually one month in arrears. Generally speaking, a sale completed in say the January of this year would not appear on the site until the update at the end of March. A few sales may take a little longer to appear.

When you log onto the Website for the first time you are presented with a very plain white page with a search box in the middle of it. In this search box you can enter a specific Postcode or address or a more general City Postcode.

I began by entering my own address which immediately displayed two results. The first and most recent of these was when I completed the sale on my House last year. Thankfully, there are no details relating to my personal information but the result does show the date that the sale was completed, in my case the 2nd of June 2006, and the agreed Sale price.

Of more interest to me however was the second entry which showed me how long the previous owners had lived there and how much they had paid for the same House. It came as a bit of a surprise to discover that they had not actually lived there very long, the sale of their House being completed in the February of 2003. The price they paid was a whopping £40,000 less than the price that I paid.

This prompted me to look at a previous Property that I had sold, which was a 17th century Cottage in the Countryside. I was surprised to see that this had changed hands twice since I had sold it back in 2000. I was less surprised to discover that its price tag had more than doubled!

There are obviously more uses for this Website other than just being nosey, but I do suspect that it is probably used on a regular basis by People that simply want to know how much their Neighbour has sold their House for.

By searching on a wider area City Postal code or on a particular Street Name you can get a really good idea of how Property Prices have performed in your area and you can even work out a pretty close value of your House without the hassle of having it valued. For this reason it is a very useful research tool.

The results that are displayed also contain information regarding the type of property e.g. semi, detached, terrace etc and also its tenure i.e. if it is freehold or leasehold. This information is important if you live within a Postcode that has a mixture of different types of Properties as this enables you to compare like for like. Finally the address of the Property is shown in full, including the Postcode and there is a link to a street map showing the exact location.

Overall I found this site to be both good fun and quite addictive. I have added it to my favourites and I am sure I will revisit it again in the near future.

Thank you for reading.

f1teamferrari 25.09.2007 14:42

Great Stuff

dbirse 08.04.2007 19:12

Very good.

little_red_hen 22.02.2007 17:30

I just had a try on here, but it didn't find anything for the 3 addresses I typed in! Karen