hysterectomy-association.org.uk

Health & Beauty

Review of "hysterectomy-association.org.uk"

published 03/05/2001 | spankygoodtime
Member since : 27/04/2001
Pro A woman can quickly find information and support at a time of great need.
Cons None!

"I thought this couldn't happen to me."

At 42 I always thought that hysterectomy was an operation for much older women, until I was told that I should consider having one myself. I have some big fibroids (benign tumours on the uterus) and for a few years I have lived with the nuisance value of: heavy periods, pain, backache, fatigue and anaemia. This condition is very common and is one of the most usual reasons for a woman to have a hysterectomy.

I was shattered and heart broken and couldn't even get my head round the idea of such a major operation. I bought the excellent book "Hysterectomy and the alternatives" by Jan Clark (Vermillion). In the contacts' section at the back of the book, I found the web address of The Hysterectomy Association in the UK.

This site has links to further information on all womens' health problems and the current treatments that are on offer for them, plus discussion groups and message boards to get in touch with other sufferers. The guestbook on the site itself is an excellent place to post initially. After I did the flood of emails I got from other women with kind words was unbelievable. If you, your partner or other family members don't know something, or just need support or a recommendaton, there is always someone who can help. This is particularly useful when seeking out trustworthy, alternative health practitioners.

This website is child friendly. The saddest thing of all is to read posts in the guestbook from 15 and 16 year old young women, who have to have a hysterectomy. They contribute as much as any other poster to support others who are going through this.

All in all if you are given the news that you need this operation, this website is where you should be headed. After doing a lot of reading I drastically changed my diet and started taking a herbal remedy. It has only been one month and I am feeling a lot better than I have done in a long time. If I had not found this website, I might have rushed into a big operation that might not be necessary. Who knows what the future will bring but at least I will know that I have tried every option.

As I have lost 10lbs in 5 weeks I will be writing opinions about the change in my diet, and the herbal remedies I am trying, for anyone that is interested!

This review was read 2060 times and was rated at

• Cazz published 15/06/2001
    A really useful op on a very valuable service. I'm glad it has helped you to consider alternatives to a major op that (mostly male) obstetricians seem to prescribe far too easily, I hope the weight loss continues too - feel free to share the secret at some point!
  • LostWitness published 10/06/2001
    This is a very worthy addition to Ciao - any opinion that can give people pointers to a resource that can offer help and advice has to be something worth sharing. Excellent opinion. :o)
  • Collingwood21 published 26/05/2001
    A well written op on a sensitive subject - glad things are better for you now.