Review of "iBenzer Soft Touch Cover for Macbook Pro 13.3""

published 18/04/2016 | gothic_moon
Member since : 23/09/2005
www.invisiblyme.com // facebook.com/invisiblymeblog
Pro Vibrant colour, easy to 'snap on', provides adequate protection to top, bottom & sides, fits well
Cons Not easy to clean / shows smudges
Reliability
Ease of Use

"Colourful Computing"

Lookin' good!

Lookin' good!

The case states being compatible with the MacBook Pro 13” Retina Display only (A1502/A1425); I double checked my Mac before getting this just to make absolutely sure.

This arrived in good time and within a large Amazon box as I’d ordered a couple of other bits at the same time. The case comes wrapped in clear plastic, so be careful when removing this with anything sharp as you don’t want to scratch the case. The top part of the case gets another layer of plastic to protect it, and inside is an illustrated guide on how to attach it.

I ordered this in red and found that the colour seemed more peachy pink initially. But fear not, that’s just the colour with the plastic wrap on! Phew! The red is a bit of a cherry red, and I really liked it; vibrant without being too ‘bright’ or garish. The effect of the plastic is one of frosted glass, in my opinion, and gives it a good quality look and feel.

This has a ‘snap on’ design, with small clips to attach to the top/bottom. The instructions give you an idea of how to do this and ensure that you’re placing the sides the correct way up. The bottom clicks on very easily; this took less than 10 seconds and I was really pleased with how easily it went on. The top was still quick, under a minute, but I was more cautious about this as you need to line the clips up, so it’s not as instant a clip-on process as the bottom part. Removing it is a little trickier; the bottom bit, again, comes off incredibly easily. The top bit, not so much. the plastic is quite hard so trying to nudge the clips off and ease the case away without damaging either the case or the MacBook takes some patience. Perhaps I need more practice, but it wasn’t the easiest thing in the word and I did damage my nails some in the process! I just wish the top bit was as easy as the bottom part, or that the instructions include tips on how to remove the case rather than just to attach it.

The end result, however, is one I was quite impressed with. The case gives adequate cover to my MacBook on the top and bottom and around the sides, whilst not obstructing any ports at all (ie. no problems plugging it in to charge or accessing any USB ports). It looks quite swish and yet not tacky because the ‘frosted glass’ type effect makes it look softer and gives it a quality feel. The Apple logo is still visible through the top of the case in a dusty, almost hazy pinky red, which I quite like.

I can’t comment on the longevity of this but from initial appearances and use, I’d like to hope this will last me a good while. I've had this for several weeks now, and so far so good.

As with the Neon Party case, I’ve noticed these aren’t the easiest of things to clean the surface of. There aren’t any ‘instructions’ for how best to do this either. I’d recommend you don’t do what I did and apply lip balm with your finger and then touch the MacBook case. I've found you can see smudges or finger marks if you've had damp or greasy hands on this, which I often end up doing when using this in the kitchen as I multi-task doing dinner. Not the best of ideas. The cover does, however, seem pretty good at offering overall protection and adding some colour to your laptop with a lovely soft and frosted finish, so I’m pretty happy with it all in all.

The RRP is, apparently, just under 30 squidaroo, which I feel is far too high for such an item. At the current price, however, it seems far more in line with similar products and I'd say it provides decent value for money.

I received this product at a discounted price in return for an honest review; the opinion expressed here is genuine and mine alone. This review also features on my Amazon reviews (though I have made some updated edits for Ciao).

Currently selling on Amazon for £12.99.

• creativecaspro published 24/04/2016